Networking: XP Home and XP Pro

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

This thread comes from a comment made by Potguy about there possibly being problems networking with XP + Home.

My situation is: destop = XP Home and laptop = XP Pro.

Try as I may and also I have had 2 friends round who are network managers for 2 large UK corporates, the network will not work. Essentially, I want to be able to access my own files from my laptop and not be constantly running around with a memory stick between the two machines. I would also like to be able to print from the laptop. I have thought all along (without acually having the evidence) that it's something to do with Home Edition.

The actual machines work fine - there's no bugs and nasties and individually they give good service and on the face of it, everything is set up as it should be re: network.

Do I:

a) Give up all hope of ever setting up the network?
b) Persevere?

If I do go with the latter I think I am gonna need someone to come out and actually look at the whole thing for me BUT what slightly worries me is that if 2 network managers can't do it - is it do-able??

Answers on a postcard please!

Love

Gabs xx

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, it is doable ... and I'm not surprised, but have a laugh anyway, that network manages also have problems.

XP Home has some network protocalls missing, why MS did this only they know, but here is a cequence of events to follow.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Times]The following networking features are not included in Home Edition: The user interface for IPSecurity (IPSec)
SNMP
Simple TCP/IP services
SAP Agent
Client Service for NetWare
Network Monitor
Multiple Roaming feature
[/font]

Right, I can't explane it any better than MS have in this Downloadable free document ...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2&displayLang=en&oRef=http://ecross.mvps.org/

... it is pretty good too. :thumb:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks

It looks too much for me to do and I think I will go for another 'expert' and see what they can do or not as the case may be!!

I will save the download document for the expert when they come.

Many thanks

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
I'm sorry Murdoch, I don't know what a crossover cable is - should I have said that the lappy is wireless?? Does that make a difference?

I am so frustrated with this and to be honest I will let another expert have a go and then I am gonna call it a day as I can't work it out at all.

Love

Gabriella x

Reaction score
Make sure both are the same workgroup, reboot, then they should appear in the network places.

Oh and disable all your security like antivrus and firewalls. 9 times out of 10 they will block the network. If it works without them, enable them one by one...

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Chris - the position at the moment is that we have partial but not total file sharing. I don't think I can take this any further myself and need to get someone who really knows what they are doing to help me out. If there are any takers living around the South Yorkshire area, you could always PM me - but I fear it's another expert from the local area to come out and hopefully get this thing going!

Love

Gabriella x

Ask a Question