Networking 2 xphome computers

G

Im trying to network 2 xphome computers. I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router. On the networking setup wizard i choose the residential gateway on my first computer and the setup went perfectly fine on my second computer however i get this error message "Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and then it just finishes.Then when i go to view workgroup computer on the Network Tasks Taskbar in My Network Places i get this error message:
"Mshome is not accessable.You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admistrator of this server to find out if you you have access permissions.

"Incorrect Funcion.
Note:Both computers are able to access the internet without a problem but a I cant share my files between them. All firewalls are shutoff including the WindowsXp firewall
Please Help
Thank You
alan

C

Chuck

Im trying to network 2 xphome computers. I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router. On the networking setup wizard i choose the residential gateway on my first computer and the setup went perfectly fine on my second computer however i get this error message "Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and then it just finishes.Then when i go to view workgroup computer on the Network Tasks Taskbar in My Network Places i get this error message:
"Mshome is not accessable.You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admistrator of this server to find out if you you have access permissions."

"Incorrect Funcion."
Note:Both computers are able to access the internet without a problem but a I cant share my files between them. All firewalls are shutoff including the WindowsXp firewall.
Please Help.
Thank You,
alan

Alan,

In order to get file and printer sharing to work, you have to start by
disabling ICF, and any third party firewalls need to be totally un
installed. You have to follow careful un install procedures, as
several third party firewalls are known to not easily un install
correctly.

For more possibilities about the error you're seeing:
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757>

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

G

Hey Chuck thanx for the advice it work. Simply shutting off the 2 Mcaffe Firewall Expresses i had wasnt doing the trick so I uninstalled them and restarted both my computers and vuela! i can see my network once more. Bubblebunny if you have a software firewall delete it. Chuck i jus wanted to know is my network protected by my linksys router BEFRS41? does it have an hardware firewall incorporated in it or do i have to remain completely unprotected inorder for my network to work?

C

Chuck

Hey Chuck thanx for the advice it work. Simply shutting off the 2 Mcaffe Firewall Expresses i had wasnt doing the trick so I uninstalled them and restarted both my computers and vuela! i can see my network once more. Bubblebunny if you have a software firewall delete it. Chuck i jus wanted to know is my network protected by my linksys router BEFRS41? does it have an hardware firewall incorporated in it or do i have to remain completely unprotected inorder for my network to work?

Alan,

Your BEFSR41 will give you excellent protection against incoming
threats. It won't do anything about hostile code sending outgoing
traffic, which is why many purists insist that a NAT router is not a
real firewall.

The firewall should be part of a layered protection strategy anyway.
Other layers include religious virus and spyware scanning and real
time protection, religiously applied software updates, using a port
monitor (such as Port Explorer (free) from
<http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/index.php?page=home>), and
using enhanced process monitoring (such as Process Explorer (free)
from <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>).
Know what's running on your computer, and be aware of current threats
(<http://isc.sans.org/>).

Thanks for the update. McAfee Firewall is apparently yet another
badly behaved personal firewall.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question