Network within a network

Reaction score
I have an office in a shared business suite. Network connectivity is provided as part of the service. However, I can see other computers on the network that are not in my organisation and I know that they can see mine. As a result I have no shares set up and no remote access. This is holding me back and concerns me about security.

I attach to the business suite network directly into a hole in the wall. I have no router and/or firewall.

My current IP addresses are 192.168.1.x and 192.168.1.y.

How can I best prevent access from others whilst opening up my network to be able to share etc and reatin internet access?

I have tried a few old spare routers but get confused with ip addressing and subnets... or am i confusing myself??

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
A router is necessary if you plan to change the subnets. Basically, it will translate information from 10.X.X.X to 192.X.X.X. Otherwise you will never get to the internet.

I would look for a firewall/router...perhaps even one that runs a VPN so you could have remote access from home (for example).

What type of address is assigned to your machine when you connect it to this "direct" internet connection?

Reaction score
The ip address that is assigned to my PCs is 192.168.1.x. I do not see and 10.x.x.x addresses.

Could you suggest a router that would work?

What settings would i use?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score

Ask a Question