Network slow to connect

Hi, group! Good evening!

I have 3 computers connected through LAN. I have Win XP laptop and 2 Win
2000 desktops and I use a hub. It is the laptop I use to connect to the
internet. My problem is I cannot establish the LAN connection right after
starting up all the computers. My desktops can see each other right away but
the laptop appears in my desktops' My Network Places after about an hour, and
when that happens, one of my desktops disappear from My Network Places.
Please help how to correct the problem. Thank you very much!

Robert L [MS-MVP]

It may be the master Brower issue. Are there any errors in Event Viewer? check all computers.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"RAM" <ram> wrote in message Hi, group! Good evening!

I have 3 computers connected through LAN. I have Win XP laptop and 2 Win
2000 desktops and I use a hub. It is the laptop I use to connect to the
internet. My problem is I cannot establish the LAN connection right after
starting up all the computers. My desktops can see each other right away but
the laptop appears in my desktops' My Network Places after about an hour, and
when that happens, one of my desktops disappear from My Network Places.
Please help how to correct the problem. Thank you very much!

Hi, Robert! Thanks for the help, sir. Anyway, I decided to upgrade all the
computers to XP Pro and everything's work fine now except that my modem
doesn't work the way it used to before. Whenever I query the modem, I got the
following response:

COMMAND RESPONSE
ATQ0V1E0 Ok
AT +GMM +GMM; HCF V.901 56K Data, Fax PCI Modem
AT +FCLASS=? 0, 1
AT #CLS=? command not supported
ATI1 255
ATI2 Ok
ATI3 2 1.2 160.006
ATI4 HCF 56K PCI Modem
ATI5 181
ATI6 DP Rev BA
V90 SPX Ram Ver 36
V90 CTL Ram Ver 36
K56Flex SPX Ram Ver 47
K56Flex CTL Ram Ver 47
ATI7 255

Just wondering what could be the problem and how to resolve it. A million
thanks in advance.

Bob I

If you used the generic driver supplied with XP instead of the modem
specific driver from the manufacturer, that would be a reason for the
difference.