Windows XP Network reload?

Reaction score
I am working on a PC that had a bad virus infiltration. I am trying to repair the install rather than reload the OS due to a special older controller card I may not be able to locate drivers for (and the PC no longer has a floppy drive).

System runs WinXPsp3

If I run IPCONFIG, I get an internal error. "The request is not supported."

I originally found missing system files and registry settings missing or altered and have repaired them from a good known working machine, these having to do with these files - netBT, ipsec, serial, afd, and mrxsmb. There could be more that I have not yet found. I was able to get it to connect to the Internet for a short time but the DHCP was not "auto-starting" like it was supposed to - but I could manually start it. I ran some Windows updates and loaded some newer AV and malware detection tools - AVG and Malwarebytes. After the Windows updates, I am again getting the error as above.

I have since tried "netsh winsock reset", "netsh int ip reset", "sfc /scannow". I have run "Hijack This" and "CCleaner" looking for anomolies and have found nothing unusual. I am contemplating trying to run SP3 again if I can figure out how.

Any other ideas?

edit: I have discovered many services are not starting whereas they were before. I suspect a dependancy is not functioning properly and it's cascading down.

Last edited:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
YOu seem to be farting against thunder. Bite the bullet, search for drivers for older controller card and do a clean install. No poiint messing about with a system that is so badly corrupt.

Reaction score
YOu seem to be farting against thunder. Bite the bullet, search for drivers for older controller card and do a clean install. No poiint messing about with a system that is so badly corrupt.

I may be but unfortunately even if I DO find the drivers, I still don't have the floppy drive to add them on setup. And Microsoft, in all their forward thinking, hadn't changed that in XP setup yet. You need a floppy to add those special RAID drivers. The BIOS doesn't see her C-drive(s).

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I'm sure you must be able to swap out a floppy from another machine ???

Ask a Question