network problem

superraylo

I have two PC linked together and under the same workgroup. When I share
a folder from a PC(computer A), I can access the shared folder directly
from computer B, without any authentication(i.e. no need to type in
login id and password to access computer A). How can I set both of the
PC so that authentication is required before accessing the share
folder?

i.e, I want to log in the computer in the network before accessing
their shared folder. is it necessary to change the group policy?
Thanks!!
(I am using window xp professional)

Steven L Umbach

Disable simple file sharing on the computer with the share. Go to Windows
Explorer/tools/folder options/view and uncheck the last setting for use
simple file sharing. Then you will need to authenticate to a user account on
the computer with the share assuming the guest account is disabled. You can
use lusrmgr.msc to manage user accounts. Share and folder [NTFS] permissions
will need to be configured to manage what users/groups can access the share.
The user account that you use for authentication must have a password and if
you are logged onto your computer with the same logon name/password that
exists on the computer with the share you will automatically be
authenticated and not need to enter credentials. You can go to Computer
Management/shared folders - sessions to see what user is connected to a
share and also you will see type 3 logon events in the security log that you
can view via Event Viewer. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

superraylo