Network file share browsing problem

G

Added a client to an exclusively WinXP Pro peer to peer network last week. Connecting to shares worked fine until downloaded patches to a newly installed OS. After that, Windows Explorer hangs when clicking on network share folder. Network computers and high level shares visible on all computers so master browser appears to be working. All the usual settings (Enable netbios over TCP/IP etc). Typing the computer IP address in the address bar (eg \\192.168.0.101\shareddocs) works. Have spent hours looking into solving what appears to be a name resolution problem. Any ideas? Same thing happened last week to a new network I setup (also WinXP Pro only). Two of 4 computers connect to all others fine. Other two don't after installing patches over a new OS install. I note that the two that don't connect have Advanced Networking installed, the other two don't.
Bill

G

For sharing try opening internet connections,R.click the icon,file,properties
chk the box,enable internet file sharing.You might also,open add/remove programs
windows programs,edit the selections for the internet.It also has a internet sharin
selection but i believe its for linux.

G

I am only concerned about sharing within the peer to peer network. In any event, I don't seem to see "internet file sharing" in the properties for the LAN/Internet connection.

G

I'm having exactly the same problem, but on only one of my machines. I tried your suggestion, and can address the folder via IP in the address bar. Once I do that, I can browse to the folder under computername\SharedDocs and not crash, supporting I think your thought that it is a name resolution issue

I cannot figure out where "...R.click the icon,file,properties
chk the box,enable internet file sharing.." is either. Can you explain a little better Edward

RichC

Ask a Question