Windows XP Network connections pop-up

Reaction score
Hi all- using XP Pro

When on or offline, i occasionally get a Network Connections pop-up which says; You (or a program) have requested information from www.???.??. Which connection would you like to use?

I can cancel it, but the pop-up keeps appearing. Have Sophos swept, Spybot cleansed, and I run ZAP.

What is causing this, how do i get rid of it?

Regards, Jamieric!

Reaction score
Hi all

plenty of readers and no replies- fear not! The problem has gone.

There was a banner program running from the registry. I didn't have the most recent update of SPYBOT. SPYBOT strips all malicious advertising junk- I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Regards, Jamieric

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have just noticed this post just now - sorry about that! :)

Is spybot a freeware program, or does it have a trial? I have not heard of this program before. :confused:

Reaction score
Hi Ian

Its free- you'll find it easily in a search. Unfortunately, i spoke too soon. Even though the latest update found more spyware on my system, when i deleted it, it reappeared when i re-booted. This is strange because all of the spyware prior to the update remains deleted once you get rid of it. So my problem remains!

Regards, Jamieric

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No matter how often you change your settings back, they are changed again the next time you restart. There have even been cases where internet options have been removed from the tools menu by registry hacking to prevent you from controlling your own computer!
I think you have been the victim of a Browser Highjack you may need the help of This little program but have a good read at the first link I gave you.

Ian, Spybot SD is one of the best and free ... not as easy to use as Ad-aware but just as good.

I strongly urge people that use SBSD, on a regular bases, to kindly donate some monies to the cause. A tenner well spent. :bow:

So, I am asking you to download my software, try it, and if you like it and can spare a few bucks, please come back and make a donation. This money will be used to cover the costs of Spybot-S&D hosting and development, and it is absolutely voluntary! You won't get less support or crippled versions if you don't.

Oh, and if your unwilling to try Mozilla as an alternative browser, which does not suffer with the insecurities of IE, then at least download this little prog ... it may just surprise you. :brow:

Reaction score
I have been having a similar Network Connections Pop Up.
If I'm not connected to my dial-up, a box appears requesting to go to Omg.bytechase.greekpimp.net. ( checked it out...it's a high school kid with bot downloads available along with his Senior pictures)
Tried every spy/bot remover I can find. It's still buggin me.
HELP!!

Reaction score
I have downloaded SpyBot. WOW! somoe amount of spyware. I hope this will stop the pop up sites I get.

does Spybot run in the background or do I need to rerun the program regularly?

Reaction score
You need to run it regularly, but if you take my advice (see below) you wont need to run it very often.

I use SpyBot S&D every week, it has a very useful feature, to block out nasty ad sites, steath downloads, hjacks and crappy pop-ups all in one go.

Start it in 'advanced mode', go to 'tools' on the tab menu on the left, click on 'hosts file' then click 'add spy-bot s&d hosts list'. This means every time your browser is told to connect to a 'problem' site that contains spyware, stealth downloads, popups, etc it is diverted to '127.0.0.1' (home) which just blocks the page, cookie, download or, in the case of a popup, closes the window without even having connected to the site. Neat eh?

Reaction score
Itried downloading this all day today but keep getting webpage cannot be displayed. Cannot find server.

is it just me?

Reaction score
I'm having the same pop-up problem as Jamieric and Miami1.

How do I get rid of it, before it drives me looney? (Already half-way there...)

Will Spybot get rid of it? Help!

Reaction score
network connection pop-up

pls. go to My Network Places , right click shared connection for internet (dial-up, broadband ,....)
select properties - advanced - uncheck establish idal-up connection
moz-screenshot.jpg

Reaction score
All feedback is always good, erm but I think the problem might have been solved about 2 years ago...:lol: Oh and welcome to PCR

Reaction score
network-popup

i was having this message from six month ago just when i have started windows xp internet sharing connection and i had did all previous steps without solving the issue
just yesterday i have discovered when you go for shared dial-up or broadband connection and un-check "establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the internet"
any way this solved my issue may it will be same situation for others who did never dial connection from internet explorer and was not attempts .

Ask a Question