Network adapter missing after applying SP2

I have seen several posts on these lines in this newsgroup but no definitive
answer.

I applied SP2 to my Windows XP Pro installation, and thereafter the Network
Adapater is missing in Device Manager. It's not hidden - viewing hidden
deives shows the associated "Packet Scheduler Miniport" device but not the
main adapter entry. The Local Area Connection in Network Connections is
also missing. However, the network is working fine. If I boot into Safe
Mode, Device Manager shows all the adapters as normal. Running Network
Troubleshooter gives a PASSED to the Network.

Un-installing SP2 did not fix the problem, so I restored the system from a
backup taken before SP2 was installed, and tried the process again. As soon
as SP2 was re-installed (no errors during install) the adaptors are missing
as before.

I have tried re-registering several DLLs (as suggested by someone) but that
did not work.

Please help!

Spindles7

I am having almost the exact same problem. I have an ECS motherboard with a
VIA Rhine II onboard NIC, and the network is functioning properly. However,
I have no NIC listed in Device Manager, nor do I have a Local Area Connection
connectoid in My Network Places. The difference I have is that my adapter
does not even show up in Safe Mode.

I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps outlined in KB article
825826 as well, to no avail.

This is particularly frustrating, as I would like to assign a static IP to
my system.

Yves Leclerc

Check in the BIOS to see if the adapter is still listed as "on" / "active" /
"enabled".

It's not integrated on the motherboard, so the BIOS has no entries for it.
The card works fine if I boot into different operating systems.

The adaptor is missing in safe mode as well, so I assume that this is now
irrelevant? Any other suggestiuons welcomed...

Thanks,

Spindles7

Y'know, I thought that the people providing advice here would at least read
the posts before responding.

My NIC is onboard and is enabled. Otherwise, I wouldn't have network
connectivity. I've gone through the MS troubleshooter included with XP, and
it has been absolutely no help. As well, updating the drivers results in a
BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD.

To further complicate issues, XPSP2 also will not allow me to install my
modem, which I need for the time being, as I currently do not have access to
broadband.

And before anyone mentions it, my firewall is disabled, as I have a firewall
on my router.

Does anyone have any clue why SP2 has destroyed my internet connectivity?

Treeman

l_garrett said:
[...]

:
-
The adaptor is missing in safe mode as well, so I assume that this is
now
irrelevant? Any other suggestiuons welcomed...

Thanks,

Spindles7

:
-
Compare the Services Started between the two modes.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Spindles7" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
[...]

Not to P*ss you off, but i was told that was a feature, not a bug.