there a way to login into the Novell client and not have
the workstation prompt for a local name and password? For
example, when anyone that is set up on the network logs in
on a computer with Windows 98 they get in, have the same
desktop and icons if I want. With the XP machine if a
users that doesn't have an account set up on the computer
itself does that, after the Novell logon clears you get
prompted with the workstation logon. Is there a way to
prevent that from appearing so anyone can use the pc?
Thanks.

A

allan grossman [mvp]

Hi, George -

I *think* if the username and password on the local
machine are the same as the Netware account you're set.
I haven't done this with Windows XP - it's worth a try,
though.

Hope this helps -

G

Right I get that part. But what I'm trying to eliminate
is the need to have the local machine set up with numerous
user accounts. On a 98 machine there is no "local user
accounts" and therefore anyone that has a Novell account
can use the machine. Not so with XP the way it is now.
But thanks for the answer.

G

That was a non-answer.

Actually Windows98 does the same thing. If you remember, the first time that you log onto a 98 machine (using Novell or not) you get the popup box for Windows Password. The top box contains the network password that you entered on the network login, and the bottom box wants you to confirm that you want this to be your Windows Password as well. If you retype your network password, and hit OK (or whatever the option other than Cancel), 98 creates a username.PWL file that contains your windows password. You dont see this box the next time you login to the network, because it accesses this pwl file. This doesnt answer your question, but I am looking for the same thing you are, and was disappointed in the answer given.

I am installing XP Pro onto classroom PCs that will authenticate to a Novell network. I do not want to create local accounts for every user that might use the PC. It would be really nice if someone could reply with specifics to make XP auto local logon to Guest or auto create a local user account based upon the Novell login. Please HELP, : )

G

Have you tried clicking the Advance button, then the Windows tab? In the Windows tab tell it to logon to Guest. Of course prior to that you'll have to enable Guest login. You can also set it to default to Guest by bringing up the "N" setting from the tray. Right-click the "N". Chose The Lcation Profiles tab. Click on a Location Profile (for me it's Default). Click Properties, then select the Service. Click Properties. The click the Windows tab. You'll see the Local username for the XP machine. I hope this helps. It worked for me.

G

Well, this is as far as we go. Windows Fast User Switching is not doable with Novell. Oh well, at least I got rid of the Novell Login by using step 2. Thanks!
___Bibbit

Ask a Question