Netscape works but IE does not

Chris

I can run Netscape using my dial in connection, but even
after downloading & installing Internet Explorer 6.0, I
still can't use it. IE loads, and asks to dial in to
connect, and that is successful, but then my home page (or
any other page) does not load & I get the message "The page
cannot be displayed". I know my dial up connection is
working, because I can use it with Netscape, but would like
to be able to get IE working again as well. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Chris

Dreamgirlb

Had the exact same problem!!!! I counldnt get any pages to display! The way
I fixed it, was installing 98 upgrade cd over the current version. And all
of a sudden it worked!! Didnt mess up anyfiles or settings. Just reinstall
over what is already there!
Please let me know how that works.

Don,
Thank you ever so much. I ran the lspfix & now IE works.
You are wonderful! Will now try the malware fix.

Chris
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Afterwards, check for malware:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org

"Chris" <anonymous[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I can run Netscape using my dial in connection, but even
after downloading & installing Internet Explorer 6.0, I
still can't use it. IE loads, and asks to dial in to
connect, and that is successful, but then my home page (or
any other page) does not load & I get the message "The page
cannot be displayed". I know my dial up connection is
working, because I can use it with Netscape, but would like
to be able to get IE working again as well. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Chris

.

Alvinstardust

I am having similar problems with IE 6.0 SP1 (Win98SE).

When I type an address into the address bar IE wants to add
"?%20" before the URL and auto complete is disabled.

My home page is google and it fails to load at all.

I have virus checked and everything is ok.

I have uninstalled 8.0 back to 5.5 but previous version
behaves in the same way.

Maybe my registry is corrupt but I don't know how to fix.

Any solutions are most welcome

Thanks in anticipation.

Alvin

war17

1. Check if a program running in the background is interfering with Internet
Explorer. Temporarily disable all Norton programs, including anti-virus, win
doctor, recycle bin protect, and clean sweep. Does Internet Explorer work
properly now?

Disable any firewall or ad-blocker.

2. Perform a repair of Internet Explorer. From Control Panel select
Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and
highlight it. Click on the Add/Remove button. When the IE Tools menu comes
up, select Repair. Click OK.

3. If repairing does not work, uninstall and reinstall IE. At the same IE
Tools menu, select "Restore the previous Windows configuration". Then
reinstall Internet Explore.

You can also access the IE Toolbar by clicking Start > Run and type

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

4. Use IE Eradicator to completely delete Internet Explorer.

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

Make sure you have downloaded the IE6 setup files first, but not loaded.
Backup your Favorites folder.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

Alvinstardust said:
I am having similar problems with IE 6.0 SP1 (Win98SE).

When I type an address into the address bar IE wants to add
"?%20" before the URL and auto complete is disabled.

My home page is google and it fails to load at all.

I have virus checked and everything is ok.

I have uninstalled 8.0 back to 5.5 but previous version
behaves in the same way.

Maybe my registry is corrupt but I don't know how to fix.

Any solutions are most welcome

Thanks in anticipation.

Alvin

First eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each need to be updated before every use, even when just
downloaded. There's also a lot more to do than just those two programs.

If trying everything at that site does not fix the problem please post back
in the same thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com