IE not working but Netscape is

Tom

I can no longer get IE 6.0.28 SP1 to connect to the
internet. I am using windowsME. Netscape works just fine,
and I can ping from a command shell. When I load IE, I get
the "Cannot find server....The page cannot be displayed"
message. I have tried reloading IE6 and that has not
helped. I have tried re-running the "Home Network Wizard"
and that has not helped.

I should point out that I do have a router in place and
that IE can successfully hit my broadband router. I can
also hit the hd of my other computer.

I uninstalled my network card, tcp/ip and rebooted my
computer. WindowsME successfully reinstalled them, but I
still could not access the internet.

Again, Netscape has no problem, and Norton AntiVirus can
update itself.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

-Tom

Bradley V. Stone

Are you using AOL or Earthlink or somethingn to connect? I have a
friend that had the same problem. HE uses AOL. IE won't do squat and
Mozilla (Netscape) works fine.

Tom

I tried AdAware, LSPFix, SpyBot, and HijackThis. They all came back
negative! I even added a HOSTS file. There is something else going
on, I just can not figure out what!

war17

Try uninstalling IE completely with IERadicator and then reinstall IE anew.

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

Make sure you have downloaded the IE6 setup files first, but not loaded.
Backup your Favorites folder.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp

--
Warren
For additional help, post in

Tom said:
I tried AdAware, LSPFix, SpyBot, and HijackThis. They all came back
negative! I even added a HOSTS file. There is something else going
on, I just can not figure out what!

Tom,
Check for browser parasites:
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Additional information at
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Then try LSP-Fix (a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Don