NetBIOS over TCP/IP

X

xpanmanx

A while back, I got it in my head that I can "disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" on my Windows
2000 network. And, in fact, things seem fine with that setting disabled.

I've recently been experimenting with a Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC, and connecting it
to my network via the built-in WiFi.

I cannot map shares unless I enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the target server. Why is
this?
Best Regards,

Tim ==

D

David H. Lipman

It's is the way MS Networking works. It is based on NetBIOS. TCP/IP is used as a routable
transport.

So if you want to share info in a NT Domain or in a MS Workgroup you NEED NetBIOS over IP.
If you were NOT accessing the Internet and you had only a LAN, than NetBEUI which is NetBIOS
with its own non-routable transport could be used.

If this was a LAN w/o the Internet another alternative would be NetBIOS over IPX/SPX.
However, if you want to access the Internet and have MS shares being accessed then NetBIOS
over IP is what is in order. Of course I highly recommend a FireWall of some kind.

Dave

| A while back, I got it in my head that I can "disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" on my Windows
| 2000 network. And, in fact, things seem fine with that setting disabled.
|
| I've recently been experimenting with a Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC, and connecting it
| to my network via the built-in WiFi.
|
| I cannot map shares unless I enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the target server. Why is
| this?
| Best Regards,
|
| Tim ==

X

xpanmanx

Thanks, Dave.

Curiously, I can turn off NetBIOS over TCP/IP on all the servers, and the Windows XP
workstations can still see everything. But this PocketPC seems to need NetBIOS. Is that
just a difference in the client OS?

It's is the way MS Networking works. It is based on NetBIOS. TCP/IP is used as a routable
transport.

So if you want to share info in a NT Domain or in a MS Workgroup you NEED NetBIOS over IP.
If you were NOT accessing the Internet and you had only a LAN, than NetBEUI which is NetBIOS
with its own non-routable transport could be used.

If this was a LAN w/o the Internet another alternative would be NetBIOS over IPX/SPX.
However, if you want to access the Internet and have MS shares being accessed then NetBIOS
over IP is what is in order. Of course I highly recommend a FireWall of some kind.

Dave

| A while back, I got it in my head that I can "disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" on my Windows
| 2000 network. And, in fact, things seem fine with that setting disabled.
|
| I've recently been experimenting with a Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC, and connecting it
| to my network via the built-in WiFi.
|
| I cannot map shares unless I enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the target server. Why is
| this?
| Best Regards,
|
| Tim ==

Best Regards,

Tim ==

D

David H. Lipman

Yes.

Win9x/ME and Pocket PC don't use the additional TCP or UDP ports.

Dave

| Thanks, Dave.
|
| Curiously, I can turn off NetBIOS over TCP/IP on all the servers, and the Windows XP
| workstations can still see everything. But this PocketPC seems to need NetBIOS. Is that
| just a difference in the client OS?
|
|
|
| >It's is the way MS Networking works. It is based on NetBIOS. TCP/IP is used as a
routable
| >transport.
| >
| >So if you want to share info in a NT Domain or in a MS Workgroup you NEED NetBIOS over
IP.
| >If you were NOT accessing the Internet and you had only a LAN, than NetBEUI which is
NetBIOS
| >with its own non-routable transport could be used.
| >
| >If this was a LAN w/o the Internet another alternative would be NetBIOS over IPX/SPX.
| >However, if you want to access the Internet and have MS shares being accessed then
NetBIOS
| >over IP is what is in order. Of course I highly recommend a FireWall of some kind.
| >
| >Dave
| >
| >| >| A while back, I got it in my head that I can "disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" on my
Windows
| >| 2000 network. And, in fact, things seem fine with that setting disabled.
| >|
| >| I've recently been experimenting with a Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC, and connecting
it
| >| to my network via the built-in WiFi.
| >|
| >| I cannot map shares unless I enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the target server. Why is
| >| this?
| >| Best Regards,
| >|
| >| Tim ==
| >
|
| Best Regards,
|
| Tim ==

Ask a Question