Need your opinions: RDA X Replication

Simone

Hi,
This app will sync via cradle several times a day. It uses RDA, push/pull on
some tables. Now I have a table which I will be only inserting rows (not
updating). I understand I cannot use "pull" on this table because it will be
just for updates. I would like this table to be updated only if the
push/pull on the other ones succeed.

Now what is the best way to do this? Should I select records that don't
exist from the table in SQL Server and pull as an empty table?
Is it better to use replication in this case?

Your opinions will help a lot. Thanks,
Simone

Kevin Boske - [MS]

Hi Simone,

Do you want this table to be empty when you first create it on the SQL
Server CE Database? How about after you sync? Should it also be empty
then?

You can do this one of two ways. If you want to use replication, you can
publish it with a filter where the rows at the SQL Server CE subscriber
will never meet the filter (ie WHERE 1 = 0). Then, an empty table will be
replicated to the SQL Server CE subscriber, and any rows inserted at the
subscriber will be removed after they are sent to the publisher.

If you want to use RDA, you will have to pull the existing data as well,
insert your new rows, and push the whole table back again.

Replication may be your best option here, depending on if you want the
table to be empty at the beginning.

Kevin Boske
([email protected])
SQL Server CE Team
Microsoft
Everything you need to know about SQL Server CE:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ce/techinfo/default.asp