RDA Pull on a Thread?

Harry Simpson

I use RDA and also a little web service call to pull data from a SQL Server
via either an ethernet cradle or via WiFi.

Now our installs use an ethernet cradle to dock the Symbol 8800s running
Windows Mobile 2003. I'm developing in VS2005 and am now using CF2 and
SQLCE 3.1.

I really need to have the syncing going on in the background while the user
is using the device to scan etc. in the field....so that the updating is
seamless in the background and doesn't intefere with the app usage. Is this
possible?

Especially with RDA pull where you basically have to delete the table before
pulling down a new table........

Any advice here - I've been needing a solution to this for years now and
wondered if technology might've come up with an answer.

TIA
Harry

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

If you're constantly in contact with the server, never out of range, it
seems like you could avoid pulling everything down and just use remote data
access to talk to the server directly from the device for each operation.

Paul T.

Harry Simpson

So just communicate via the web service then.....this would scale ok? like
40 connections at a time?
I've just never tried to do the wireless deal and don't know how it'd scale
but I suppose the web service would be about like a web app right?

Harry

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

I wouldn't imagine much of a problem for 40 connections. I wasn't actually
suggesting connecting to the Web service at all, however, but directly to
SQL Server. It shouldn't have any problems handling 40 connections...

Paul T.

Harry Simpson said:
So just communicate via the web service then.....this would scale ok?
like 40 connections at a time?
I've just never tried to do the wireless deal and don't know how it'd
scale but I suppose the web service would be about like a web app right?

Harry

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
If you're constantly in contact with the server, never out of range, it
seems like you could avoid pulling everything down and just use remote
data access to talk to the server directly from the device for each
operation.

Paul T.

Harry Simpson

In this architecture there really wouldn't even be a local SDF database at
all then. Just direct communication with the SQL Server database via wifi
eh?
Guess you'd want to make transactional updates? case user interupts the
save or something?

Thanks

Harry Simpson said:
[...]

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. If you have multiple updates that must
all be done or none of them be done, yes, you'd need to transact. You'd
probably use transactions anyway, for that matter. If you got a cancel
indication from the UI while you were in the middle of some long update, you
should be able to abort the transaction.

Paul T.