Need software to handle a huge address type database!

Reaction score
I qualify as a super-dummy when it comes to database programming. I have a project in which I need to create a database file resembling an address book. The catch is that it has to handle about 40 MILLION records. All of the "off-the-shelf" software I have seen including Microsoft Office has limitations which make it "poop out" well below this volume of records.

Strangely I found Netscape v 7.2 which I am currently using that I now have about 2.5 million contacts/records in it. I like it because it has the ability to export and/or import records in various formats such as dbf, csv, ldif, etc. However it is starting to get bogged down and crashes frequently.

Eventually I know that I will exceed the 2 gigabyte limit in Windows. Because of my lack of programming skills I cannot change over to Linus or other operating system languages. So my idea is to somehow break up these huge files by first letter of the subject's last name, (i.e. A-C, D-F, etc.) then figure a way to search between them extracting data from these files while comparing to a "test file" and outputing the results.

Because I am on limited income and the fact that I am trying to help over 400,000 people without charge recovery the money/property seized by the Vermont State Treasurer I cannot afford to pay some to do this kind of programming or otherwise help me for a fee.

See:

http://www.7dvt.com/2009where-hells-my-money

Eventually I want to do this same thing in every state and Canadian province -- hence the need for a huge size database/address book.

Right now I have been joining csv files by means of the suggestion within this group back in 2007, however the size of my "master" file keeps getting corrupted, crashes, etc. so I have to find a viable solution which is either free or low in costs.

Can anyone help me?

Wallace Nolen
email: (e-mail address removed)

cell: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me nose is twitching, can't possibly think why :rolleyes:

Good luck with your endeavours Wallace, I've removed your phone number for your own privacy's sake, you'd be really surprised just what those spam bots collate and pass on to them cold-callers.

Ask a Question