Need for online collaboration - unlimited size spreadsheet/database

Reaction score
I have an urgent need for an online method of online collaboration of up to 5 people of a huge spreadsheet/database (in excess of 5 million rows by about 50 columns). Most of what I have been able to find online is limited to about 5,000 rows. We have been using offline excel 2010 but we have not been able to figure a way to update/synchronize each others data.

I have search this and other sites and while all of the services can handle under 5,000 rows not a single service or suggestion deals with these huge type spreadsheets/databases.

Does anyone have any ideas other than trying to break up these spreadsheets into smaller chunks which is not an option given this project?

Brian Scott - Vermont USA

Reaction score
Excel 2010 is limited to roughly 1 million rows and a single Access database is limited to 2GB. The only other thing that comes to mind would be a SQL database, but don't ask me anything about that, lol. Good luck!

*Sits and watches thread with interest*

Reaction score
I agree with alow. SQL Server (MS, Oracle or free MS Express, MySQL, Firebird and few others) would be perfect for this job. Excel is OK, but for smaller projects and (in my opinion) preferably without "online collaboration" :(

dpb

Reaction score
For starters, I think Access may be large enough for this. From my experience, any spreadsheet with the number of columns you have would be a good candidate for data normalization...removing the redundancy, spilitting into separate tables, then reassembling for presentation. For examples, if you type in the name of a department for each employee that can be about 50 bytes for each but with a crossreference from the employee table to the department table that would be about 4bytes each (if I remember correctly off the top of my head)

Also, Access would allow you, if you had two large tables (e.g. "Sales" and "Orders", to put them in separate databases and use links to bring them back together as needed.

good luck

Ask a Question