Amazon S3 and SES Down

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you've had problems connecting to websites, playing online or any other unusual web problems, it could be because Amazon S3 and SES are both down. These Amazon Web Services power huge parts of the internet, games and apps... so it will affect a huge number of people.

Amazon are aware of the issue and have posted the following update on their unhelpful status page:
https://status.aws.amazon.com/

Increased Error Rates

We're continuing to work to remediate the availability issues for Amazon S3 in US-EAST-1. AWS services and customer applications depending on S3 will continue to experience high error rates as we are actively working to remediate the errors in Amazon S3.

Update as of 7:35 GMT:
We have now repaired the ability to update the service health dashboard. The service updates are below. We continue to experience high error rates with S3 in US-EAST-1, which is impacting various AWS services. We are working hard at repairing S3, believe we understand root cause, and are working on implementing what we believe will remediate the issue

Update as of 21:49 GMT:
We are fully recovered for operations for adding new objects in S3, which was our last operation showing a high error rate. The Amazon S3 service is operating normally.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This has been down since 17:40 GMT (1 hour 25 mins at the time of this post), so the problem can't be minor. No more updates from Amazon as yet.

Reaction score
I back up all of my websites remotely on Amazon S3. Great service and even better being Free for small amounts of storage. Gives you peace of mind having everything remotely backed up. I seen on the Google news that it had been down. Was gonna try using it as a CDN service but not sure if I would gain anything. Has anyone used Amazon as CDN for their website ?

Cheers Dean

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I do the same too - S3 is such a useful way to backup sites. Compared to renting FTP or other offsite storage, it's so cheap.

I've not used it as a CDN, as it doesn't seem to be as important as it was a few years ago. Now that things are moving towards HTTP/2, using CDNs and sprite maps for image loading is less of a concern (as concurrent downloading is far improved over HTTP/1). That said, a lot of people use CloudFlare (I think they have a free tier too), as that works as a kind of CDN.

Reaction score
Hi Ian
Yes CloudFlare seems to be the CDN that most Opencart extensions use for their CDN. I use a caching mod on my sites which seems to keep them running quite fast. Are you a bit of a web developer Ian? It sounds like you are on the ball with all of the tech side of things.

Kind Regards Dean

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I do a fair bit of web development and do like to try and keep up to date with things. Good to meet another web developer on here :D.

Reaction score
I do a fair bit of web development and do like to try and keep up to date with things. Good to meet another web developer on here :D.
Hi Ian, Great stuff. Yes I have been playing about with Opencart and Oscommerce for a bout 10 years now. I really like the Opencart platform as it is very flexible and easy to modify. Have a great day Ian.

Ask a Question