Need Help With Geforce 6600 Agp Installation

Reaction score
Hi to Everyone!

I just bought a new Video card - Inno3D GeForce 6600 AGP 256 MB/128 Bit DDR - and I seem to have a lot of problems trying to get it to run properly in my PC.
To give you and idea, here is my PC Specs

- ASUS P4V8X-X Motherboard Intel Pentium 4 2.40 GHZ AGP
- 1024 MB of RAM Kingston PC400
- WIndows XP Pro (w/ Service Pack 1)
- Creative Audigy Sound Card
- Inno3D FX GeForce 5200 Tornado (Old video card and it runs very well)

Now here is what happens when I try to install the GeForce 6600
1. Boot up to Windows XP desktop. Lower right screen shows that found new hardware, installation required.
2. Install GeForce Driver from CD version 9.0
3. Installation finishes, requires restart of computer.
4. Upon restarting, shows BIOS menu (everything OK), loading to Windows XP intro page (the one with black background with Big XP logo in middle), then suddenly the screen goes blank. PC hangs and restarts itself again after 30 seconds.
5. BIOS disappears and ASUS motherboard logo appears. Proceeds to screen with this message:
Overclocking Failed! - (sometimes this appears - Checksum Bad)
Press F1 to enter setup
Press F2 to load default settings
6. I choose F2 option and then proceed to this screen:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally
7. I then choose Last Known Good Configuration. I then proceed to the windows XP desktop and the "Found New Hardware" pop-up shows again and prompts me to reinstall the said driver again. And when I do that, the whole thing starts all over again.

SOLUTIONS TRIED
1. Updated BIOS
2. Updated Motherboard Chipset
3. Went to Inno3D website to download updated drivers for the VGA card. Tried installing them and the same thing happens all over again.

I've spent more than a day already trying to figure out what I need to do to get the darn thing to run. I also tried asking around and here are some possible ideas that came up:
1. The Motherboard or some other hardware and the GeForce 6600 isn't compatible (is there such a thing??)
2. Need to configure BIOS settings (don't know which)
3. Darn Video card doesnt work.

I would really appreciate all the help I can get to get this Video Card running! You can post your answers here or you may email me directly at - [mucks edit to stop you being spammed]

Hope to hear from you guys soon! Thanks a lot in advance!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Re-install your old card ... download & install these drivers from HERE ... making sure everything works, then replace the cards.

If it still bombs out you have a faulty vid card.

;)

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
the errors you get are vague at the best of times.
have you connected a 4 pin molex to your new graphic card?
if you have......
you could try resetting the cmos, see motherboard manual for details

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
pikakilla said:
the errors you get are vague at the best of times.
have you connected a 4 pin molex to your new graphic card?
if you have......
you could try resetting the cmos, see motherboard manual for details
huhoh, there is no need to reset the BIOS ... what will that fix?

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Anyways, after trying everything else (havent tried Windows SP2 yet) somebody told me that it just MIGHT be a hardware defect (the video card's). Something to do with the way "hardware responsible for the acceleration of the video card's chipset was configured". In plain English, it's a factory defect. Might have been like the acceleration was only supposed to be at 300 mhz (for example) and yet it was set at 400 mhz. That MIGHT have caused the problem.

To make a long story short, I went to the dealer's and had the VGA card replaced with the same model. Now i'm trying to do everything over again. Let's hope now that it works.... if not, well i have to have it replaced with a VGA card that would work.

Again, Thanks for the replies!

PS - will try installing SP2 also.

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
huhoh, there is no need to reset the BIOS ... what will that fix?

because the checksum bad error message he reported can sometimes lead to cmos,
to me the card wasnt installed correctly, the drivers on the cd that came with the card would suffice

just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Ask a Question