Windows XP Need Help Updating to MS Windows XP SP2!!

Reaction score
I am trying to update my XP to SP2. Knowing I needed to install SP1 first I looked for it only I found SP1a first and installed it. I then did all relevant updates. I then tried SP2 and received an error that said "The expected version of the product was not found on your system". Thinking that SP1 perhaps came after SP1a, I tried to install SP1 and received the same error. Help!

Thanks!

Lou

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Strange. Are you sure you didn't have SP1 already installed? Most XP discs were shipped with it on already. (2002 onwards I believe) When did you buy your PC, or if you assembled it yourself, when did you purchase Win XP?

One more question - Are you using Windows Update to update to SP2? Or trying to do it manually from an installer package?

Reaction score
LouG said:
I am trying to update my XP to SP2. Knowing I needed to install SP1 first I looked for it only I found SP1a first and installed it. I then did all relevant updates. I then tried SP2 and received an error that said "The expected version of the product was not found on your system". Thinking that SP1 perhaps came after SP1a, I tried to install SP1 and received the same error. Help!

Thanks!

Lou

I know you can download sp1 and sp2 from MS website.

If not look on google and search for service pack for xp.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
He's already found SP1 & SP2, the issue is that he can't install them - however I'm wondering where he got those and SP1a from.

Reaction score
Not exactly sure when the PC was purchased. My wife's former employer gave it to her and I recently had to format. When I did I used a reinstal XP disc without SP 1, 1a or 2. I then updated to 1a from

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx

which I found at Microsoft thinking it came after 1. I then tried SP2 from

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

and received the error of night finding the expected operating system.

All the attempts were updates from MS.

Thanks!

Lou

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
What I would do is re-install from your XP disc - install SP1, then do not update it further, and then try to install SP2.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
SP2 will contain everything from 0 on up ... no need to install any other SP.

"The expected version of the product was not found on your system".
Please read ... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837826 ... You need to buy your own copy of Windows & Office.

user.gif

Reaction score
LouG said:
I am trying to update my XP to SP2. Knowing I needed to install SP1 first ...

I think this is inaccurate. Service Pack 2 contains Service Pack 1 so there is no need to install any service packs prior to SP2.

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was able to install and update SP2 with help from microsoft tech support. He simply sent me a link to the advanced download "for system admins. etc. and it worked. Go figure! Thanks for your help!

Anyone interested in helping me with my other thread? It is on a different computer and it has stumped many an expert so far. A real challenge!!!

Here is where the thread is located and I'll update where I am on it now!

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3335662&goto=newpost

Thanks!

Lou

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Glad its sorted - I have replied to your other thread :thumb:

Reaction score
Glad your problem was resolved. SP2 contains every service pack. Best is to download it to install on the network from Microsoft which gives you the full SP2, then install locally. You could have re-installed windows or uninstalled SP1a and then just install SP2.

Ask a Question