Need advice on mobo for upgrade.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i am currently in the middle of upgrading my rig, i am looking at buying a x2 4200+ but i am getting confused with all the motherboard choices. I am after a SLI board and will be using the machine mostly as a gaming rig.

I originally had set my mind on the Asus A8N SLI Premium, until a freind told me that it wouldn't be a good idea as this board only has a 400 FSB. He then recommended that i go for the Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLi as this has a 2000 FSB.

I was a bit put off by the abit board only because it doesnt have the 7.1 audio that the asus is offering although thats not a major problem as i have a 5.1 creative card that does me just fine.

Are the statements correct, as i start going cross eyed looking at all the different numbers when comparing specs.

Or can anyone suggest a better mobo?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
there is nothing wrong with the Asus board

and your friend is getting confused with the HTT speeds and the RAM speeds

Reaction score
Have you had a look at:
ABIT NI8 SLI NVIDIA nForce4 Socket 775 ATX Motherboard
AA8-XE Fatality Socket 775 Intel 925XE PCI-E ATX (AA8-XE FATALITY)
Both seem OK, but may be the best advice can come from those who are gamers:thumb:

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
DFI LANPartyUT NF4 SLI-DR Expert

Asus
A8N32 SLI Deluxe

Pick one ... I'll close the thread now. :D

;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

muckshifter said:
DFI LANPartyUT NF4 SLI-DR Expert

Asus
A8N32 SLI Deluxe

Pick one ... I'll close the thread now. :D

;)

I like the look of the A8N32 SLI Deluxe, except i just read a review on the mobo which has a Q&A

Q: "Does the motherboard support all PCI-E cards in the slot above the graphics port?"

A: "No, please be careful when choosing a PCI-E Raid Sata card or any other full size card as the heatpipe on the board does not allow for full size cards. The graphics cards PCI-E port however is unaffected."

What does this mean? if i buy this board do i then have to look for specially small PCI-E gfx cards?

My head is starting to hurt :( (thanks for your patience)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
higsta said:
Thanks for the replies,
I like the look of the A8N32 SLI Deluxe, except i just read a review on the mobo which has a Q&A
What does this mean? if i buy this board do i then have to look for specially small PCI-E gfx cards?
My head is starting to hurt :( (thanks for your patience)
Some PCI-E cards are longer than others and therefore 'hit' the heatpipe ... I ain't found one yet ... maybe one of our other members knows.

You may well have this "problem" with other MBs ... the DFI also has a 'stupid' fan mount that can get in the way of some cards ... ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
thats only if you use the very top slot which you wont be able to because your graphics card will be in the way

Ask a Question