Nav buttons

G

How do I modify a navigation button to fit long text in them. I can seem to wrap or adjust the font. Using FP2002.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

You would have to modify the button image or reduce the font size in the theme, as it is not
possible for FP to wrap text on buttons or banners images.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Sarah said:
How do I modify a navigation button to fit long text in them. I can seem to wrap or adjust the
font. Using FP2002.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Or shorten your page title.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

FP2002

Themes/Modify/Graphics to find the file names of the graphics used...but don't modify them directly. Make copies and use image editor to adjust the copies. Then build new theme using your new graphics...and Save AS.

(Don't modify the existing theme)

I think there is a width limit, I can't remember, but the last time I did it I think I had to stay within 146/150px wide.

R.

| Where do I modify the button image?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Mimi,

See inline below

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Mimi said:
I'm hearing you say it is not possible to tell FP to word wrap within a nav button; is it possible
to insert a "hard return" or "<br>" code?

No

Barring that, is it possible to change the font size for just the buttons with captions that are
too long but leave the size alone on the other buttons?

No

Create you own image button in a image application and don't use FP navigation or theme, create your
navigation manually or you have to live with the limitation of the FP components.

G

Hi, i have text that is too long for my button also. I am pretty much a novice and won't be making my own buttons or anything like that. I have changed the title of the page (by right clicking the file name, properties, and then entering a new shorter title in the title box) and I have also made the name of the actual htm file shorter. But, it keeps putting the old, longer title in the button. I have uploaded several times, I refresh the browser and all the other changes appear, but still I have the too long text in that one button. What am I missing?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Right click on the page title in navigation view, and change it there.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

LSchaefer said:
Hi, i have text that is too long for my button also. I am pretty much a novice and won't be
making my own buttons or anything like that. I have changed the title of the page (by right
clicking the file name, properties, and then entering a new shorter title in the title box) and I
have also made the name of the actual htm file shorter. But, it keeps putting the old, longer title
in the button. I have uploaded several times, I refresh the browser and all the other changes
appear, but still I have the too long text in that one button. What am I missing?font. Using FP2002.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Also you need to run Tools | Recalculation Hyperlinks and then it might help to do a complete
publish and then repeat using Change Pages Only.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

G

thank you. I had already done that, changed the title in nav. view and also recalculated links did a full publish and then a changed pages only publish. It STILL has the old, longer button text. Any other suggestions?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Can you provide a URL to page in question?

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

LSchaefer said:
thank you. I had already done that, changed the title in nav. view and also recalculated links
did a full publish and then a changed pages only publish. It STILL has the old, longer button text.
Any other suggestions?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Indicate what should be the correct title.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Find the _hidden folder named _overlay and delete the images for that page
Then change your nav view or reapply your theme and run Tools Recalculate Hyperlinks

--

| thank you. I had already done that, changed the title in nav. view and also recalculated links did a full publish and then a
changed pages only publish. It STILL has the old, longer button text. Any other suggestions?
|
| "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
|
| > Also you need to run Tools | Recalculation Hyperlinks and then it might help to do a complete
| > publish and then repeat using Change Pages Only.
| >
| > --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| >
| > > Right click on the page title in navigation view, and change it there.
| > >
| > > --
| > > ==============================================
| > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > >
| > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > > ==============================================
| > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > >
| > > | > > > Hi, i have text that is too long for my button also. I am pretty much a novice and won't be
| > > making my own buttons or anything like that. I have changed the title of the page (by right
| > > clicking the file name, properties, and then entering a new shorter title in the title box) and I
| > > have also made the name of the actual htm file shorter. But, it keeps putting the old, longer
| > title
| > > in the button. I have uploaded several times, I refresh the browser and all the other changes
| > > appear, but still I have the too long text in that one button. What am I missing?
| > > >
| > > > "Sarah" wrote:
| > > >
| > > > > How do I modify a navigation button to fit long text in them. I can seem to wrap or adjust
| > the
| > > font. Using FP2002.
| > >
| > >
| >
| >
| >

G

the url is www.edgeofthewoods.biz.

Thanks for the info. I deleted the file within the overlay folder that had the title in question. I went to nav view. I reapplied the theme. i recalculated links. I cleared my browsers stored files and cookies. I did a full publish. the button STILL has the long text in it. (THe long text is "Native PLants for Fall Color". the shortened text is "Fall Color") I can't even figure out where it is getting the long title from. I have deleted it from everything I can imagine. I am sure I am missing something simple but what is it? IN the properties box for the page it says Fall Color in the title entry. I deleted it and entered it again just to be sure. I renamed the file itself by rightcliking on it in the folder view. WHat should I do?

Thanks for your help

G

after the full publish, i also selected just the overlay folder and published it specifically.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Publishing the _overlay folder does no good
- they are only temporary design time files used by the theme and nav bars

When you use FP theme and nav bars, FP generates the text for the button (from Nav View) in the _overlay folders as transparent
..gifs, then merges those images w/ the theme button image to create the final nav bar images which are stored in a super hidden
folder (_derived)

You appear to be using a theme style for the nav bar (radial) different from your default theme (blue-network), a new FP2002+
feature supported under the FP 2002 SE.
In which case you need to get FP to recreate the custom images by letting FP use the Default theme for the buttons, then changing
them to your custom theme
Select the nav bar, right click for properties style and select the Default theme (apply to all pages)
- Select a page and File preview in Browser (you should see the new text and new style buttons)
- Publish changed pages
Select the nav bar, right click for properties style and select the other theme (blue-network)
- Select a page and File preview in Browser (you should see the new text and new style buttons)
- Publish changed pages

Alternatively apply the other theme (radial) to a selected temporary new page,
Copy the images for the buttons from your _themes/radial folder to your image folder
Modify your preferred the (Format Theme select blue-network, Modify/Customize Graphics and select you new images (from the other
theme- blue-network) for the nav bar images and save as a new theme name
Select the nav bar, right click for properties style and select the Default theme (apply to all pages)
Publish changed pages
--

| after the full publish, i also selected just the overlay folder and published it specifically.
|
| "Stefan B Rusynko" wrote:
|
| > Find the _hidden folder named _overlay and delete the images for that page
| > Then change your nav view or reapply your theme and run Tools Recalculate Hyperlinks
| >
| > --
| >
| > _____________________________________________
| > SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| > "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| >
| >
| > | thank you. I had already done that, changed the title in nav. view and also recalculated links did a full publish and then a
| > changed pages only publish. It STILL has the old, longer button text. Any other suggestions?
| > |
| > | "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > |
| > | > Also you need to run Tools | Recalculation Hyperlinks and then it might help to do a complete
| > | > publish and then repeat using Change Pages Only.
| > | >
| > | > --
| > | > ==============================================
| > | > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > | > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > | >
| > | > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > | > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > | > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > | >
| > | > > Right click on the page title in navigation view, and change it there.
| > | > >
| > | > > --
| > | > > ==============================================
| > | > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > | > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > | > >
| > | > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > | > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > | > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > | > >
| > | > > | > | > > > Hi, i have text that is too long for my button also. I am pretty much a novice and won't be
| > | > > making my own buttons or anything like that. I have changed the title of the page (by right
| > | > > clicking the file name, properties, and then entering a new shorter title in the title box) and I
| > | > > have also made the name of the actual htm file shorter. But, it keeps putting the old, longer
| > | > title
| > | > > in the button. I have uploaded several times, I refresh the browser and all the other changes
| > | > > appear, but still I have the too long text in that one button. What am I missing?
| > | > > >
| > | > > > "Sarah" wrote:
| > | > > >
| > | > > > > How do I modify a navigation button to fit long text in them. I can seem to wrap or adjust
| > | > the
| > | > > font. Using FP2002.
| > | > >
| > | > >
| > | >
| > | >
| > | >
| >
| >
| >

G

thank you! I really appreciate your help. I got it fixed, then decided I liked the buttons that came with the theme better anyway, so now I hopefully won't have the problem again. Don't know what I'd do without this forum.

Stefan B Rusynko said:
Publishing the _overlay folder does no good
- they are only temporary design time files used by the theme and nav bars

When you use FP theme and nav bars, FP generates the text for the button (from Nav View) in the _overlay folders as transparent
..gifs, then merges those images w/ the theme button image to create the final nav bar images which are stored in a super hidden
folder (_derived)

You appear to be using a theme style for the nav bar (radial) different from your default theme (blue-network), a new FP2002+
feature supported under the FP 2002 SE.
In which case you need to get FP to recreate the custom images by letting FP use the Default theme for the buttons, then changing
them to your custom theme
- Publish changed pages
Select the nav bar, right click for properties style and select the other theme (blue-network)
- Publish changed pages

Alternatively apply the other theme (radial) to a selected temporary new page,
Copy the images for the buttons from your _themes/radial folder to your image folder
Modify your preferred the (Format Theme select blue-network, Modify/Customize Graphics and select you new images (from the other
theme- blue-network) for the nav bar images and save as a new theme name
Publish changed pages
--

| after the full publish, i also selected just the overlay folder and published it specifically.
|
| "Stefan B Rusynko" wrote:
|
| > Find the _hidden folder named _overlay and delete the images for that page
| > Then change your nav view or reapply your theme and run Tools Recalculate Hyperlinks
| >
| > --
| >
| > SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| > "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| >
| >
| > | thank you. I had already done that, changed the title in nav. view and also recalculated links did a full publish and then a
| > changed pages only publish. It STILL has the old, longer button text. Any other suggestions?
| > |
| > | "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > |
| > | > Also you need to run Tools | Recalculation Hyperlinks and then it might help to do a complete
| > | > publish and then repeat using Change Pages Only.
| > | >
| > | > --
| > | > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > | > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > | >
| > | > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > | > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > | > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > | >
| > | > > Right click on the page title in navigation view, and change it there.
| > | > >
| > | > > --
| > | > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > | > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > | > >
| > | > > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > | > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > | > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > | > >
| > | > > | > | > > > Hi, i have text that is too long for my button also. I am pretty much a novice and won't be
| > | > > making my own buttons or anything like that. I have changed the title of the page (by right
| > | > > clicking the file name, properties, and then entering a new shorter title in the title box) and I
| > | > > have also made the name of the actual htm file shorter. But, it keeps putting the old, longer
| > | > title
| > | > > in the button. I have uploaded several times, I refresh the browser and all the other changes
| > | > > appear, but still I have the too long text in that one button. What am I missing?
| > | > > >
| > | > > > "Sarah" wrote:
| > | > > >
| > | > > > > How do I modify a navigation button to fit long text in them. I can seem to wrap or adjust
| > | > the
| > | > > font. Using FP2002.
| > | > >
| > | > >
| > | >
| > | >
| > | >
| >
| >
| >

Ask a Question