Link Bar Weirdness

• Thread starter =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\=2
  • Start date
?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\=2

FP2002, working on disc-based web and publishing accordingly.

This is so weird.

I was making extensive photoalbum additions last night (with JAlbum not FP) all went well. Published ok and all online works. Back to disc-based web now...

I decided to remove a page from Navigation...completely. Ok, gone.

After that about 6 other pages Navigation went duplicate or disappeared or wouldn't show the images (themic buttons are being used).

Ok so maybe it's time to dump the FP navs and go with dhtml I thought...so put the site to bed with intentions of tackling the problem today.

(I had published before wacking the navs - so I have a fall back)

This morning...I open FP, open the local Web and bada bing...everything is norbal?! Go figure!....my FP2002 is acting like my 1968 Volkswagon? (if it broke down, I just parked it for a few days and it'd heal itself)

or...a memory thing ya think from processing a zillion image files???

J

Joe Rohn

Rob,

It's probably a memory thing or similar..I have found especially with
working with .asp pages that FrontPage will suddenly stop showing images. A
full reboot always clears it up.

--
Joe

FrontPage Users Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage

in message FP2002, working on disc-based web and publishing accordingly.

This is so weird.

I was making extensive photoalbum additions last night (with JAlbum not FP)
all went well. Published ok and all online works. Back to disc-based web
now...

After that about 6 other pages Navigation went duplicate or disappeared or
wouldn't show the images (themic buttons are being used).

Ok so maybe it's time to dump the FP navs and go with dhtml I thought...so
put the site to bed with intentions of tackling the problem today.

This morning...I open FP, open the local Web and bada bing...everything is
norbal?! Go figure!....my FP2002 is acting like my 1968 Volkswagon? (if it
broke down, I just parked it for a few days and it'd heal itself)

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\

That's what I thought too.
And since I've noticed similar problems here, I thought I post this.

S

Steve Easton

Any time you open a page in a FrontPage web, FrontPage creates a not so random "randomly" named .tmp
file in the FrontPageTempDir that is associated with that page.
Each time you edit an opened page, FrontPage creates yet another .tmp file associated with that
page.
Each subsequent change creates yet another .tmp file. This is what allows the Edit > Undo function
to work as it does.
"Normally" when you close a page after editing it, ( not Save it, but Close it ) all of the .tmp
files associated with that "particular page" are automatically deleted from the FrontPageTempDir.

Note I said "normally." If one of these files gets "left behind" and the page is reopened FrontPage
then sometimes tries to use the random name again, but the file already exists.
This is why we often say "Open the FrontPageTempDir and delete all of the files, or search for *.tmp
files and delete all found."

Also, simply closing a web and then closing FrontPage and re-opening it will reset the naming
sequence.

That said I wrote a simple VB script a while back ( with some help from Stefan Rusynko ) which will
automatically find the FrontPageTempDir ( for all versions of FrontPage from 2000 to 2003 ) and
delete it's contents. It also deletes the *.web files if desired.

Guess I better fire up Visual Studio and wrap it in a GUI and put it "out there" for people to use.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

This is so weird.

I was making extensive photoalbum additions last night (with JAlbum not FP) all went well. Published
ok and all online works. Back to disc-based web now...

After that about 6 other pages Navigation went duplicate or disappeared or wouldn't show the images
(themic buttons are being used).

Ok so maybe it's time to dump the FP navs and go with dhtml I thought...so put the site to bed with
intentions of tackling the problem today.

This morning...I open FP, open the local Web and bada bing...everything is norbal?! Go figure!....my
FP2002 is acting like my 1968 Volkswagon? (if it broke down, I just parked it for a few days and
it'd heal itself)

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\

Not a bad idear.
Call it the FPTDumpa

Steve Easton said:
Any time you open a page in a FrontPage web, FrontPage creates a not so random "randomly" named .tmp
file in the FrontPageTempDir that is associated with that page.
Each time you edit an opened page, FrontPage creates yet another .tmp file associated with that
page.
Each subsequent change creates yet another .tmp file. This is what allows the Edit > Undo function
to work as it does.
"Normally" when you close a page after editing it, ( not Save it, but Close it ) all of the .tmp
files associated with that "particular page" are automatically deleted from the FrontPageTempDir.

Note I said "normally." If one of these files gets "left behind" and the page is reopened FrontPage
then sometimes tries to use the random name again, but the file already exists.
This is why we often say "Open the FrontPageTempDir and delete all of the files, or search for *.tmp
files and delete all found."

Also, simply closing a web and then closing FrontPage and re-opening it will reset the naming
sequence.

That said I wrote a simple VB script a while back ( with some help from Stefan Rusynko ) which will
automatically find the FrontPageTempDir ( for all versions of FrontPage from 2000 to 2003 ) and
delete it's contents. It also deletes the *.web files if desired.

Guess I better fire up Visual Studio and wrap it in a GUI and put it "out there" for people to use.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
.......................with a computer

This is so weird.

I was making extensive photoalbum additions last night (with JAlbum not FP) all went well. Published
ok and all online works. Back to disc-based web now...

After that about 6 other pages Navigation went duplicate or disappeared or wouldn't show the images
(themic buttons are being used).

Ok so maybe it's time to dump the FP navs and go with dhtml I thought...so put the site to bed with
intentions of tackling the problem today.

This morning...I open FP, open the local Web and bada bing...everything is norbal?! Go figure!....my
FP2002 is acting like my 1968 Volkswagon? (if it broke down, I just parked it for a few days and
it'd heal itself)

Ask a Question