Natural Keyboard freezes on startup

I have a "Microsoft Natural Keyboard" (PS2) which is completely unresponsive
each time I cold boot my XP custom-built PC (ie. even the lock lights don't
toggle). In device manager it has a problem (!) and I have found if I
Uninstall it from device manager and then Scan for Hardware it reappears and
works fine. Windows XP then prompts me to reboot after finding new hardware.
If I do so, I am back where I started with a frozen keyboard.

I have tried installing Intellitype v5.2 (the latest), which didn't make a
difference.
Other standard keyboards work normally.

Note that the keyboard is simply a "Natural Keyboard" not "Natural Keyboard
Pro" or anything else and it isn't specifically listed in the Microsoft
hardware list at all any more. It was the very first issue of the Natural
Keyboard which was shortly superceded by the inferior Elite version
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/systemrequirements.aspx?pid=022
but has a better key layout (ie the insert, home, etc keys are in the
'normal' layout) and generally superior engineering quality. The Part Number
is 60287 which also isn't listed.

I've had it for ~5 years and it works fine on others versions of windows
(98,2000). I will continue my dedicated morning ritual of Device Manager
Uninstall> Scan, until anyone out there can help me solve this problem.

thanks in advance,
Pip

rinat

simply try to disable keyboard in device manager by
right button mouse -> Disable, and then
right button -> Enable

i do so :)

Richard Urban

And you don't suspect the keyboard? Why NOT?

I have replaced 2-3 Microsoft keyboards that have gone south. One of them
prevented the computer from booting. I thought the M/B had gone bad!

Richard Urban

Yes this does have the same effect as uninstall-scan but doesn't solve the
basic problem.

Because as I said, it still works on other operating sytems and computers
(and other keyboards work on this computer).

Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
124
Reaction score
0

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> And you don't suspect the keyboard? Why NOT?
>
> I have replaced 2-3 Microsoft keyboards that have gone south. One of them
> prevented the computer from booting. I thought the M/B had gone bad!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

> "Pip" wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I have a "Microsoft Natural Keyboard" (PS2) which is completely
> >unresponsive
> > each time I cold boot my XP custom-built PC (ie. even the lock lights
> > don't
> > toggle). In device manager it has a problem (!) and I have found if I
> > Uninstall it from device manager and then Scan for Hardware it reappears
> > and
> > works fine. Windows XP then prompts me to reboot after finding new
> > hardware.
> > If I do so, I am back where I started with a frozen keyboard.
> >
> > I have tried installing Intellitype v5.2 (the latest), which didn't make a
> > difference.
> > Other standard keyboards work normally.
> >
> > Note that the keyboard is simply a "Natural Keyboard" not "Natural
> > Keyboard
> > Pro" or anything else and it isn't specifically listed in the Microsoft
> > hardware list at all any more. It was the very first issue of the Natural
> > Keyboard which was shortly superceded by the inferior Elite version
> > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/systemrequirements.aspx?pid=022
> > but has a better key layout (ie the insert, home, etc keys are in the
> > 'normal' layout) and generally superior engineering quality. The Part
> > Number
> > is 60287 which also isn't listed.
> >
> > I've had it for ~5 years and it works fine on others versions of windows
> > (98,2000). I will continue my dedicated morning ritual of Device Manager
> >>Uninstall> Scan, until anyone out there can help me solve this problem.

> > thanks in advance,
> > Pip

It could be your Plug n play. Is the keyboard a usb keyboard? If you disable the plug n play which winxp recommends, this could be your problem. After you disable your plug n play, see if you can cold boot without a freeze up. If you can't and get back to windows, leave plug n play disabled and try to uninstall the keyboard drivers and reinstall or update the driver.

No it's a PS2 keyboard. I will try what you recommend - I presume you mean
P&P in the BIOS settings? (I didn't know XP recommends disabling this -
RTFM!). I guess I could also try a PS2 to USB converter widget...

cheers, will let you know how I go.

Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
124
Reaction score
0

"PCDaddy" wrote:
> It could be your Plug n play. Is the keyboard a usb keyboard? If you
> disable the plug n play which winxp recommends, this could be your
> problem. After you disable your plug n play, see if you can cold boot
> without a freeze up. If you can't and get back to windows, leave plug n
> play disabled and try to uninstall the keyboard drivers and reinstall or
> update the driver.
>

> --
> PCDaddyPosted from https://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Yes i did mean in the bios settings, sorry about that. Let me know how it goes.