My new boot drive

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Just picked up a new drive for use as boot drive on my home desktop rig.

Western Digital

I think it is a decent drive and I also got 3 years warranty this time unlike the previous one which lasted about 2 years and having warranty for just 1 year!

Anyone using it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't actually used a WD hard drive before, but I've heard they are the best. £40 for an 80GB drive is a bargain too! Did you go for the 80 gig version?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes I went for the 80 gig version as it would be foolish on my part going for a 40 gig when the one I lost was 60 gig. I will be able to have a larger C partiion say 30 gig instead of 20 before to accomodate some very space hungry software like the new Britannica 2004 Encyclopedia for the kids. It takes up almost 4.5 gig of space.

Will install the OS on it tonight so will let you know how it performed compared to the earlier one. The rest of the programs would have to be installed in the next few days on the need basis. Have to pick up the SP2 also from my cousin which will save me a lot of time downloading it.

Cheers :)

Reaction score
Quad - that is the exact drive i had in my first computer - WD Caviar SE 7200rpm 8Mb cache 80Gb,

VERY VERY good drive - near silent and vey fast, Never went wrong on me either!

good choice.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
WD Caviar ... reminds me of the late 80s, we won't go there, now WD seem to have learnt how to make HDs. ;)

That seems to be the STD price for an 80gig now (even for 8Mb cache)

Enjoy your extra warrantee Quad ... good value for money.

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I still maintain that buying a hard disk, whatever manufacturer, is a little like a lottery, you never seem to know when you'll buy from a bad batch or not. But hopefully manufacturing and design have improved.

Having said that, I like Western Digital.

Lemme see, 2 x Raptors in my 'main' machine.

And 2 x WD 120Gb SATA drives in my other machine, in a RAID 0. And one IDE 120Gb 8Mb cache WD drive for storage/backup. I use that machine for recording & editing VCR cassette tapes to DVD, hence the need for all that space.

The original WD IDE 120Gb disk on that machine actually failed on me after one month, I lost about 10 hours worth of recorded vinyl 7" singles :( I now back up regularly to DVD, learnt my lesson there.

The RMA to Western Digital was painless and took one week. The replacement is fine, about six months down the line.

Ask a Question