My documents folder has disappeared

7

-781-

The only way I can access my documents is by going to the C:\Documents and
settings\My username\my documents.

I don't have the icon on the desktop, also, I don't have a desktop tab on
the Display Properties. and I am unable to change wallpaper or add/remove
desktop icons.
When I save something to my pc, and a dialog box comes up to choose where to
save, on the left there is a list for my My recent documents, Desktop, My
computer, My network places, and ONLY an icon for My documents(looks like
the icon), However there isn't a name for it. It's blank.

What has happened to my system? Any ideas?
I am running a Winxp Pro with Office xp .
Thank alot in advance.
Gino

7

-781-

It didn't resolve the problem.
This might give you a clue as what is happening...
When I click on Start>Documents and Right click on My Documents to create a
shortcut to desktop or Double clicking on My Documents to open the folder, I
get an error stating:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
action. Create an association in the Folder Option control panel."

Thanks for any help.
Gino

Kelly

Hi Gino,

Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 sendmail.dll
Go to Start/Run and type in: regsrv32 ole32
Go to Start/Run and type in: regsrv32 /i shell32

If no help, see the entry for HKEY_Classes_Root\.DESKLINK
and:

Open notepad, and create a blank text file named 'Desktop (create
shortcut).DESKLINK'
Save it in the %userprofile%/sendto folder

Repairs the Send To Desktop Function
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_sendtodesktop.htm

/top10faqs.htm

7

-781-

Thank you so much.
Both Desktop tab and My documents folders came up.
I appreciate your help alot.
Gino

Kelly

You are most welcome, Gino. Glad to hear all is well and to have helped.
Thanks for the feedback. :blush:)

/top10faqs.htm

Joined
Aug 7, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thank you SO much Kelly! That worked for me!

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP
[AE-Windows® XP]

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

" -781-" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It didn't resolve the problem.
> This might give you a clue as what is happening...
> When I click on Start>Documents and Right click on My Documents to create

> shortcut to desktop or Double clicking on My Documents to open the folder,

> get an error stating:
>
> "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
> action. Create an association in the Folder Option control panel."
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Gino
>

> "Kelly" wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]...
> > Restore My Documents (Line 55)
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> >
> > Restore the Desktop and Screensaver Tabs (Line 128)
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> >
> > To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click

it
> > and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad

by