Windows XP my disk cleanup

Reaction score
my disk cleanup does not work, i have left it running before for 4 hours and nothing, it just says "disk cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on Partition_1(C:). This may take a few minutes to complete."
now it just waits on this for hours, does anybody know why this has happened?? if it has happened to you who did you fix it?

Reaction score
I do not know what is happening.. I would think it has developed a bug, or found a file it does not like.

I often use a free package called 'CCleaner' which I have found very good. I was recommended it on this forum by a couple of people when I was having problems.

www.ccleaner.com

Try that. If not.. I have a couple of other ideas!
Mainly deleting hidden Cache files...

Reaction score
thank you for the info, it seemed to work at bit. 1 more thing if its ok, my computer is running slow and has been for awhile, it all happened when i got updates from microsoft, now it takes awhile for the computer to start and shut down. i have tried some stuff to try to sort out the Registry, namely "Registry Mechanic" but in the end you have to buy it, so no luck there. any more suggestions???

Reaction score
Well. Ccleaner has a registry cleaner on it.
Also..
What are you using as an internet browser?
I used to have to same problem and then I discovered Firefox.

Reaction score
Another tip with firefox to clear data down in the following: (I will use AJ for my filename)
First in Windows Explorer (My computer) go to tools, then folder options, then the view tab and select 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'

then, when this is done go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\AJ\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Default Folder\
- Delete Cookies.txt file and Delete the Signons.txt file

then go to:
c:\Documents and Settings\AJ\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Default Folder\Cache\
- Delete all files in this 'Cache' folder

Then go to:
c:\Documents and Settings\AJ\Local Settings\temp\
- Delete all files (but make sure all programs are closed before hand)

then go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\AJ\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
- Delete all files (but make sure all programs are closed before hand)

This will help speed things up too.

Ask a Question