Music collections soar - average 178 cd's

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
MUSIC COLLECTIONS SOAR

The average person owns £1,500 worth of CDs and records with one in 10 owning more than 500 albums, research has shown.

Men have larger music collections than women, owning an average of 178 albums each, compared with women's 135, according to Barclays Insurance.

The group estimates that Britons collectively have six billion CDs, tapes and records in their homes, collectively worth £60bn.

However, it says people are massively under-estimating the value of their collections, claiming they think their albums are worth an average of only £635.

At the same time they are also failing to document them properly for insurance purposes, it claims.

Barclays Insurance Managing Director Adrian Grace said: "If they had a motorbike or guitar worth £1,500 they wouldn't dream of having it not properly documented for their insurance, but for some reason people are often more casualabout their music.

"Perhaps it's because we don't realize how much our music's worth."

He added that three-quarters of people questioned admitted they would not be able to remember everything they had in their collection if it was stolen.

People living in Yorkshire and Humberside have the biggest music collections, owning an average of 181 albums each.

Meanwhile those in the North East have the lowest number of CDs, records and tapes, owning only about 103 each.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I own maybe... 15-20 cds....
im below average :D

Reaction score
I personally own not very much, but as a family we own a fair bit. Just built a media centre and most of our CD collection is on it.

See the screenshots...

Note: All of what you see are original CD's ripped to 320Kbps MP3 - not downloads :)

attachment.php

Click photos 1 and 3 to enlarge :)

Attachments

• Music Collection.JPG
    Music Collection.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 756
  • Properties.JPG
    Properties.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 556
  • iTunes2.JPG
    iTunes2.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 703

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Chris,

Why do you have to listen to the MP3 when you already have the cd's

Reaction score
basically it's media centre computer thats in the stereo cabinet in the living room.

The idea is, you rip all your cd's to it - then you can make playlists for parties and never have to get up mid-dinner and change the CD.

iTunes and Windows Media Player make this very easy to do, and it's a great addition to our home entertainment stuff!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
1000+ cd's, 400+ LP's, 100+ DVD's (mostly concerts):blush:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I had a lot of my collection stolen in a burglary a few years back, and yes I lacked documentation for my collection, and underestimated it's value - I can't quite remember how many I lost but the insurance company did pay out about £900 just for the CD's. Many of the CD's however were collectors edition and hard to find/replace versions which was the biggest pain in the a**e.

I have built up quite a collection again now with the current total now at 176 and counting. :)

Ask a Question