Music and DVD Films playing to fast on computer.

Reaction score
My brother has just bought a computer from one of his mates,when he puts a music cd into the computer the sound of the music is going too fast,he tryed putting a dvd film in the computer and again the sound of the people in the film speaking is really fast.

He has Windows XP

He plays the dvd film and music on Windows Media Player.

He also said the same thing happens from music or small video clips that he downloads from his phone.

Can someone tell me what settings to change to get it working ok please.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Open Media Player and just underneath the now playing tab there is a little white button on the left, click this and a menu will drop down and you will have 4 options, click Enhancements and a menu will appear choose the play speed settings should be 5th one down and the speed setting bar will show up on the lower part of the media player window..

Just adjust settings from here by pulling the slider along and setting it where you want it, or just click Normal from one of the options and close the bar, hopefully everything should be back to normal play speeds....

Good luck...;)

Reaction score
Gutted,i thought that would work for him.
What that did was slowed down the music but not the problem with the fast singing which was still the same sort of speeded up singing but at a slower pace like the music.

Any other ideas please.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Dave

Just try reinstalling the sound driver...

(Yes sometimes just
doing the obvious does it!)

Explanation: Intel Accelerator software seems causing the
flaw when installed *after* the sound driver. Then you
just need to reinstall the sound driver - usually you
don't even need to update it.

Hope that helps mate..

Reaction score
He said when he got the computer he had no CD's with it.

I take it i have to reinstall the sound driver with a Windows XP cd, could i use my windows cd on his computer to do that?

Also could someone go through the steps i need to take to do that. His computer is upstairs with no internet access at the moment mine is downstairs with internet access.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
1. In Control Panel, open Sounds and Audio Devices.

2. On the Volume tab, in the Speaker settings area, click the Advanced button.

3. In the Advanced Audio Properties dialog box, click the Performance tab, and then adjust the Hardware acceleration slider control to adjust the clock timing for your sound card.

Keep in mind that, if your sound card supports multichannel (5.1) audio playback, turning off hardware acceleration (by moving the slider to None) will cause the sound card to play all multichannel audio in stereo (two speaker) sound.

If you can't fix the problem by adjusting hardware acceleration, check for updates for your sound card.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/10/troubleshooting.aspx

user.gif

Reaction score
Hi Muckshifter
The method you gave Hardware acceleration slider control to nothing didn't work for me.
Not sure what sound card he has and he only has Desktop Stereo Speakers.

Can you talk me through reinstalling the sound driver to see if that works please.

Reaction score
Seriously,can anyone please tell me how to go about reinstalling the sound driver.

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Any idea what the soundcard is?

Is it built onto the mobo and if so what motherboard is it.
Try using Belarc Advisor if you don't know what components are in the machine

Covenant

Reaction score
How do i find what the sound card is?

The computer has stickers on it saying 390 emachines ,intel celeron processor 3D AGP Intel extreme graphics plus it mentions afew other things.

I did that scan and the only thing i noticed that was to do with sound was under multi media Avance AC97 Audio MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device and further down the list in another section Avance Sound Manager Version 5.0 although i don't know if any of those are anything to do with the sound card or not.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
From what i have googled the Emachines 390 is on board Realtek AC97 Audio. Just to confirm can you....

Go here and download, Un-zip and run CPU-Z, That should tell you what the motherboard is. If not go to the same link and download Everest.

Once done can you please find the motherboard model number and if possible the make too. Post it here and we'll go from there.

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
V_R said:
From what i have googled the Emachines 390 is on board Realtek AC97 Audio. Just to confirm can you....

Go here and download, Un-zip and run CPU-Z, That should tell you what the motherboard is. If not go to the same link and download Everest.

Once done can you please find the motherboard model number and if possible the make too. Post it here and we'll go from there.

Through that link

Motherboard

Manufacturer Trigem Computer , Inc.
Model Imperial 1.09

I think that is the info you wanted.

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
You need to go to the Emachines website here, enter the machine details and get the correct driver, although I had a quick look and couldn't find a listing for a 390 so you might need a bit more info about the machine.

Covenant

Reaction score
Covenant said:
You need to go to the Emachines website here, enter the machine details and get the correct driver, although I had a quick look and couldn't find a listing for a 390 so you might need a bit more info about the machine.

Covenant

Couldn't see it on that website.Did a quick google search for it and it is available at pcworld website,here are some of the specs from that site.

Features for this EMACHINES 390
spacer.gif

-Intel Celeron 2.3GHz Processor-512Mb RAM-80Gb Hard Drive-48x CDRW drive-16x DVD ROM drive-Integrated Graphics-6 USB Connections-Works 6.0 & Money 2002-Windows XP Home Edition-1 Year FREE Onsite Warranty
Specification for this EMACHINES 390
spacer.gif

Processor Type Intel Celeron RAM Memory 512 mb Hard Disk Capacity 80 Gb

Graphics DescriptionIntel 82845GL
Integrated Sound Card OnBoard
Speakers IncludedYes
No of USB connections6
No of PCI Slots3

Last edited:

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
A couple of options.

If you can't find the drivers, an ordinary PCI soundcard costs about a fiver.

A friend had the same problem on his Dell. We eventually tracked it down to the modem! It might be worth while (if a modem is fitted) to whip it out and try the DVD.

Covenant

Reaction score
V_R said:

Ok,still not sorted this yet.
Is this what i'm looking for

Realtek AC'97 sound drivers for Windows XP
Click to download the drivers and software for your Realtek AC'97 audio chipset. These drivers...

found on this page http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/ ,it's that website,then click pcsupport and from the downlaods section choose sound card.Then it's the 4th one down the downlaod list.

Last edited:

Ask a Question