Multiple Network Domains

C. Somers

Here's the scenario:
Our company is running a Windows 2000 domain with the
majority of the users on WinXP. All of the machines are
joined to the domain and users are mapped to their "home"
drives during the logon process. We run Exchange and a
file server with many shared folders.

One "employee" (consultant actually) is getting a new
computer with XP Pro loaded. She works for our company,
but also works for another company with a different domain
name. I do not want a nightmare, so I'm asking in advance
if an XP machine can be a member of two totally different
domains. If so, how would I set this up?

I'm thinking instead of joining the domain, she can be a
member of a workgroup with the same name as the domain. I
can set up to store her DOMAIN\user name & password to use
when she needs to connect to the shared folders. Since
this would be saved with her other passwords, she would
not have to enter this each time. But, how will Exchange
work? What if the other business requires domain
membership for the machines? Could she log in at our
place to her LOCAL machine and the domain at her other
office?

Is this a nightmare or what?

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

A computer can be joined to only one domain. But if you routinely use
resources from another domain, you can add credentials for other domains
that allow access to those domains' resources. In Control Panel, open
User Accounts. Click the Advanced tab and then click Manage Passwords.
Click Add and then specify the name of the other domain's computer that
has the shared resources (in the form domainname \computername), along
with your user name and password for the other domain.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"C. Somers" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Here's the scenario:
| Our company is running a Windows 2000 domain with the
| majority of the users on WinXP. All of the machines are
| joined to the domain and users are mapped to their "home"
| drives during the logon process. We run Exchange and a
| file server with many shared folders.
|
| One "employee" (consultant actually) is getting a new
| computer with XP Pro loaded. She works for our company,
| but also works for another company with a different domain
| name. I do not want a nightmare, so I'm asking in advance
| if an XP machine can be a member of two totally different
| domains. If so, how would I set this up?
|
| I'm thinking instead of joining the domain, she can be a
| member of a workgroup with the same name as the domain. I
| can set up to store her DOMAIN\user name & password to use
| when she needs to connect to the shared folders. Since
| this would be saved with her other passwords, she would
| not have to enter this each time. But, how will Exchange
| work? What if the other business requires domain
| membership for the machines? Could she log in at our
| place to her LOCAL machine and the domain at her other
| office?
|
| Is this a nightmare or what?
|
| Thanks

Paul Russell

The answer is no.

It is not a nightmare, you need to make an IT Policy decision driven by
business requirements for this employee. I am a bit confused (and concerned)
by your statement about "she works for our company, but also for another."
Could you elaborate here? Is this person a contractor or something and tote
a laptop to your site ? Is the other domain joined in any way ( e.g. forest,
trust or some other federation)?

You should ensure what ever decisions your making ensure the maximum level
of security for your network and business applications. Having a rogue
workgroup machine which may work in some instances cause more havoc than
they are worth in a business space. There are better alternatives for a
consultant onsite who totes a laptop (e.g. terminal services or guest
workstation)

Give us more information and we cqan go from there.