Multi-Character Styles

Reaction score
I have been searching for several hours for the solution to a problem. I had, at one time or another, a word document that had mixed styles in one paragraph. In this document the paragraphs are styled in two parts. The first part (everything before a ':') is bold, there is a tabbed space, and then the remainder of the paragraph is normal text justified.

I have been trying to find a way to reproduce this, however am unable. I thought maybe linking two character styles in one paragraph, however that doesn't work either. So, i tried using a hidden paragraph symbol. However, the style doesn't carry through on new paragraphs.

Any thoughts, or ideas on how I can recreate this?

Thanks, in advance.

Reaction score
So, i have found a work around though it is not exactly what i need.

I set a new style to have the correct current paragraph formatting. I type in the portion i want bold, its bolded, insert a colon then hit tab. THEN i hit ctrl alt and enter and a style break is inserted, rather a simple Hidden Paragraph. Then i type the rest. Now, i set following paragraph to a different style. And this works, it's all in one full paragraph. However... when i hit enter AGAIN to start a new paragraph where the beginning is bold, it is not so rather it has reverted to the following paragraph style, rather back to normal if you will.

Is there a way around this?

Reaction score
Well, my work around got me to thinking, and here's what i've come up with.

I have two styles. OTP for my bold leader and OTB for my body. What i did was set the style for the first one, base it on Normal, but said the following paragraph style was based on OTB. Then went into OTB said its style was based on normal but he following paragraph style was based on OTP.

In theory it should work, and if i use ctrl + alt + enter then it will insert a style break allowing for everything to be in "one" paragraph, at least in theory. The problem is, well I really don't know what the problem is, I just know that Word 2010 doesn't apply the "following" paragraph formatting, it literally sets it to "normal" therefore it will not read that the following paragraph should be OTP.

Both OTP and OTB are Linked Paragraph and Character.

Any suggestions on why this isn't working?

I have Word 2010.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Okay, i might have found the culprit. As previously stated i was using the "following paragraph" to set my next style, however becuase i need a line to look like the following:

Line Title: Text begins here and wraps around to the next line so that it looks really nice. None of this is for a TOS, just chapter outlines for my next book.

So, to get all that formatting correct i was inserting that Style Break (ctrl alt enter) so that it would be on one line. That's what is breaking it. It's removing ALL style formatting for the next line so that it is Normal therefore when I hit enter again to get a new paragraph with the Bold.. it reads nothing.

Any ideas on a work around for the style break, or maybe how to force word to use a specific style as default instead of 'normal?' would this work?

THanks,

Storm!

Ask a Question