Mssg: Outlook unable to locate MS09.DLL

D Laudermilch

System is Win2000, Outlook 2002, and ActiveSync 3.71, remainder is Office
2000. I recently updated my Axim PDA to PPC 2003, and it came with and
recommended updating Outlook to the 2002 version that came with it. I did
so, and then ran Office Update to bring it up to current, and my Win2000 is
current. Infrequently when running Outlook I get an error message saying
"Outlook unable to locate DLL," with MS09.dll specified. Other than the
error message I do not see any anomalies. Any ideas on what MS09.DLL is all
about and what I need to get this fixed??

Dennis

*Vanguard*

"D Laudermilch" said in news:JIkSb.141136$sv6.775319@attbi_s52:
System is Win2000, Outlook 2002, and ActiveSync 3.71, remainder is
Office 2000. I recently updated my Axim PDA to PPC 2003, and it came
with and recommended updating Outlook to the 2002 version that came
with it. I did so, and then ran Office Update to bring it up to
current, and my Win2000 is current. Infrequently when running
Outlook I get an error message saying "Outlook unable to locate DLL,"
with MS09.dll specified. Other than the error message I do not see
any anomalies. Any ideas on what MS09.DLL is all about and what I
need to get this fixed??

Dennis

Do you have other components of Microsoft Office, like Word or Excel? Are
they also at version 2002? If not, you cannot use Word as the e-mail
compose editor in Outlook; i.e., you cannot use Word 2000 with Outlook 2002.
The versions must match. This doesn't apply if you are using the embedded
compose editor in Outlook 2002 to write your e-mails.

A search at Microsoft's support site (http://support.microsoft.com/) might
yield related KB articles, like:

OL2000: Error Message: A Required .DLL File, Mso9.dll, Was Not Found
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258180

SpiderHex

TechNet Ref:Q303179
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to open a shortcut from the hard disk
when Microsoft Outlook is running, you may receive the
following error message:

OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module MS09.DLL
CAUSE
The exact cause of this behavior is unknown and has not
been reproduced by Microsoft.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, search for and delete the
Outcmd.dat, Extend.dat, and the Views.dat files. To do
this:
Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files and
Folders.
In the Search for files or folders named box, type
outcmd.dat, and then click Search Now.
Right-click the file that appears in the box, and then
click Delete.
Repeat the previous steps to search for and delete both
the Extend.dat and Views.dat files.
Restart Outlook.

D Laudermilch

*Vanguard* said:
"D Laudermilch" said in news:JIkSb.141136$sv6.775319@attbi_s52:

Do you have other components of Microsoft Office, like Word or Excel? Are
they also at version 2002? If not, you cannot use Word as the e-mail
compose editor in Outlook; i.e., you cannot use Word 2000 with Outlook 2002.
The versions must match. This doesn't apply if you are using the embedded
compose editor in Outlook 2002 to write your e-mails.

A search at Microsoft's support site (http://support.microsoft.com/) might
yield related KB articles, like:

OL2000: Error Message: A Required .DLL File, Mso9.dll, Was Not FoundAs
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258180

As I had indicated, I only upgraded the Outlook portion of Office to 2002,
the rest of Office remains the 2000 version (Word, Excel, Access, etc.), so
the mixed versions is probably the problem, as suggested in your message.
However, I only use the embedded compose editor in Outlook 2002, which is
what I did before the upgrade. In fact, the options in Outlook 2002 to
select Word as the compose editor are grayed out, so I could not select them
if I wanted. So it sounds like it is an error message without much clout,
except I cannot use Word for composition. Or is their likely some other
consequence lurking? Thanks for your help!

Dennis

*Vanguard*

"D Laudermilch" said in news:6utSb.184160$I06.2005518@attbi_s01:
As I had indicated, I only upgraded the Outlook portion of Office to
2002, the rest of Office remains the 2000 version (Word, Excel,
Access, etc.), so the mixed versions is probably the problem, as
suggested in your message. However, I only use the embedded compose
editor in Outlook 2002, which is what I did before the upgrade. In
fact, the options in Outlook 2002 to select Word as the compose
editor are grayed out, so I could not select them if I wanted. So it
sounds like it is an error message without much clout, except I
cannot use Word for composition. Or is their likely some other
consequence lurking? Thanks for your help!

Dennis

I have the MS Office XP suite (where every component is version 2002).
There is no mso9.dll file on my system so I don't know why OL2002 would be
looking for it. You might have to run the Help->Repair in Word 2000 to
repair your Office 2000 install. However, if the install of OL2002 somehow
caused the problem then maybe doing the repair for Office 2000 could screw
over OL2002.

There are lots of KB articles found at http://support.microsoft.com/ when
searching on "mso9.dll" so maybe one of the other articles than I mentioned
is appropriate.