msn video

J

jfloodster

MSN video will load but I cannot play anything in the
playlist. Nothing happens when I click on image to play.
Not sure if I accidentally deleted something when I was
cleaning up Adware files. Any suggestions? thanks.

B

Bill Mathews

Andrew, thanks for the info, but I tried that and MSN videos still will not
play.

If I open WMP, I can play items from the MS Media Center.

Scripting is enabled in IE6, etc.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

G

Gaga6

I've had that same problem since MSN changed it's look. I gave up on it.
If someone has a suggestion, I sure would like to know. I thought I was the
only one with the problem, but I see other's do too.

Helen

B

Bill Mathews

Sorry - no answers yet. My best _guess_ is that you need the MSN dedicated
version of IE, since no one here has posted a solution.

C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

I don't have the MSN version of IE and they work here.

Did you try a System File Checker? From the command prompt, type

sfc /scannow
(note space between c and /)

B

Bill Mathews

Cari, thanks for the suggestion, but doing that didn't change things - they
still don't play.

G

MSN video will load but I cannot play anything in the
playlist. Nothing happens when I click on image to play.
Not sure if I accidentally deleted something when I was
cleaning up Adware files. Any suggestions? thanks.

For those of you who are having problems with MSN Video and are using Norton Internet Security Software, I have the solotion:

MSN Support was no great help. They provided me with a stock response to check my computer setup . . . didn't help.

The problem is Norton Internet Security (NIS) program. To get MSN Video to work properly you must disconnect NIS. First, right-click the NIS icon in the Task Bar to open NIS and bring up program selections. Within the NIS program there is an "options" selection that you can select to set up the program. After selecting "options" select the option to "manually" start NIS and not have it started when the computer boots up and places an icon in the Task Bar. After making this change re-boot your computer. MSN Video should now operate normally.

Me personally, I use a program Ad-Subtract Pro to do all my pop-up, ad, cookie, etc. filtering. AND I make sure that the Firewall provided by Microsoft XP is enabled and all the critical security updates have been made.

If you want to enable NIS, right-click NIS icon in task bar, select Security and enable that choice and NIS is then up and running. Be aware that when you enable NIS, MSN Video will not work properly. Chances are it will hang.

I am not sure it is a Symantec (NIS) or Microsoft problem but I have informed both companies and suggested a patch to fix the problem.

Zim

G

The following updates my previous message:

:
I finally received a viable e-mail from Microsoft MSN Video support that solves playing videos on MSN web sites. My solution was to disconnect Norton Internet Security (NIS). The following steps are suggested by Microsoft Support to get MSN Video to play properly.

1. Make sure Media Player 9.0 is your default player.
a. Start Windows Media Player 9.0
b. On the Tools menu, click Options
c. Click the File Types Tab
d. Select Windows Media Video (.wmv) file, and then click OK
2. Check that you have enabled the following using the Internet Explorer “Tools†menu:
a. Download signed ActiveX controls
b. ActiveX scripting

3. If you are running NIS and Norton Firewall, you need to use msnvideo.msn.com and video.msn.com as Trusted sites for MSN Video.
4. Disable ad blocking in NIS
a. Open NIS
b. Click Ad Blocking
c. Click Turn Off

5. Disable browser privacy in NIS
a. Open NIS
b. Click Privacy Control
c. Click Turn Off

I have made these changes to my computer and MSN Video works just fine. Hope this helps you.

Zim

Ask a Question