msmsgs internet access - Windows XP (home addition)

G

I have noted when I go to; CONTROL PANEL -> NETWORK CONNETIONS, right click on my network connection to display PROPERTIES -> ADVANCE(tab) -> SETTINGS (button); A list of services are displayed with the comment; "Select the services running on your network that internet users can access". In this list, msmsgs 11083 UDP and msmsgs 9213 TCP are both checked. I have "unchecked" the box and it will automatically check itself again. I have tried to REMOVE (delete) the service and it will automatically reinstall itself.

What is this service for ? Is this a security problem? Why can I not turn this service off or remove it to other internect users ?

Thanks for any feedback. Dirk

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Dirk,

What you're seeing is the built-in Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) capability within Windows
Messenger (msmsgs.exe) -- when it loads, it adds two port forwardings to your Internet
Connection Firewall (which you're seeing) for voice/video conversations and other UPnP
enabled features in Messenger. This is exactly what's supposed to be happening.

If you would not like this to happen, you'll need to stop using Windows Messenger. To do so,
open it up (click Start, then All Programs, then Windows Messenger), click the Tools menu,
then Options, then Preferences, uncheck 'Run this program when Windows starts' and click OK.

You can then use MSN Messenger if you'd like to use Messenger (as it won't add the port
forwardings unless you actually start a voice/video conversation).
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

Dirk said:
I have noted when I go to; CONTROL PANEL -> NETWORK CONNETIONS, right click on my network
connection to display PROPERTIES -> ADVANCE(tab) -> SETTINGS (button); A list of services are
displayed with the comment; "Select the services running on your network that internet users
can access". In this list, msmsgs 11083 UDP and msmsgs 9213 TCP are both checked. I have
"unchecked" the box and it will automatically check itself again. I have tried to REMOVE
(delete) the service and it will automatically reinstall itself.
What is this service for ? Is this a security problem? Why can I not turn this service
off or remove it to other internect users ?

C

Caph

Dirk, I can't say with any authority but Inotice that Ialso have msmsgs ...
UPD and TCP checked on my calbe connection properties screen. (Different
numbers though.) I suspect perhaps those are different ports that Windows
Messenger (ie: msmsgs.exe) allows incoming messages on.

Dirk said:
I have noted when I go to; CONTROL PANEL -> NETWORK CONNETIONS, right
click on my network connection to display PROPERTIES -> ADVANCE(tab) ->
SETTINGS (button); A list of services are displayed with the comment;
"Select the services running on your network that internet users can
access". In this list, msmsgs 11083 UDP and msmsgs 9213 TCP are both
checked. I have "unchecked" the box and it will automatically check itself
again. I have tried to REMOVE (delete) the service and it will
automatically reinstall itself.
What is this service for ? Is this a security problem? Why can I not
turn this service off or remove it to other internect users ?

Ask a Question