File Transfer Error

A

Aviv Gurwitz

Hello,
I have the following problem:
I can get files OK with Windows Messenger but I can't send files...
When I try I get the error message:
We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please
contact your network administrator or Internet service provider; they may be
able to enable file transfers.

I am using version 4.7.
I have the xp firewall enabled but I have checked authorozation for the
various TCP and UDP msmsgs entries that I have in the settings.

What should I do?

Thanks for your help,
Aviv.

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Aviv,

You'll need to automatically open the necessary ports in the Internet Connection Firewall in
order to send files (Messenger does not automatically open file transfer ports). To do so,
click Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, then Communications, then Network
Connections. Right-click your connection, then click Properties. For cable modem/broadband
users, your Internet connection will usually be called Local Area Connection. For dialup, it
should be the name of your Internet Service Provider. Click the Advanced Tab, and then click
the Settings tab. Click the Add button and then in the Service Settings, type in the
following:

For Description enter Messenger Connection, for Name or IP address enter 127.0.0.1, for both
External and Internal ports enter 6891. Verify TCP is selected and click OK. Now repeat the
last step but change the ports to 6892, 6893, 6894, 6895, 6896, 6897, 6898, 6899, 6900. Yes,
10 (including the first one) will now be selected. Then click OK. You should now be able to
send files.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

Ask a Question