MSI

mike

i am trying to install Norton Internet Security 2004 and
receive the following message " the MSI must be launched
through setup". I have tried everything suggested by
Symantec the software providers and am now wondering if i
have a problem with MSI.

Wurzel Sepp

mike said:
i am trying to install Norton Internet Security 2004 and
receive the following message " the MSI must be launched
through setup". I have tried everything suggested by
Symantec the software providers and am now wondering if i
have a problem with MSI.

Have you tried http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...rough setup*miniver=nis_2004*la=de*pcode=nis<
3E&sone=nis_2004_tasks.html&stg=3&prod=Norton%20Internet%20Security&ver=2004%20f%FCr%20Windows%2098/Me/2000/XP&base=http%3A//www.symantec.com/region/de/techsupp/&next=nis/nis_2004_contact_tscs_solve.html&tpre=de&src=de_sg&pcode=nis&svy=p82222107
? I had the same problem (NIS 2004 on Win 2000) and wa able to to a
successful installation after following the above steps...

Cheers /François

Jason [MSFT]

The first step i would take would be to enable installer logging as per:

223300 How to Enable Windows Installer Logging
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223300

Here are some other steps i would try:

Step 1: Re-register MSI Engine

1- Select Start | Run, type Msiexec /unregister and click OK.
2- Select Start | Run, type Msiexec /regserver and click OK.
3- Try to install Basic2.msi package.

If Basic2.msi does not install successfully, complete the following
steps...

Step 2: Windows 2000 and NT Additional Steps

1- For Windows 2000 make sure SP2 is installed.
2- For Windows NT 4.0 SP6 is required.

The remaining steps below may not work as expected if the appropriate
service packs are not installed.

Step 3: Verify DCOM permissions

1- Select Start/Run.
2- Type DCOMCNFG.
3- Select the Default Properties tab.
Confirm the settings enabled.
"Default Authentication Level" should be "Connect".
"Default Impersonation Level" should be "Identify".
4- Select the Default Security tab.
Select the "Default Access Permissions" "Edit Default" button.
Ensure the "Registry Value Permissions" list is either empty (with NO
accounts defined),
or, if accounts are defined, the System account MUST be included.
If the list is empty or unchanged, select "Cancel".
If the list is populated to include the System account, select "O.K."
5- Select the "Default Launch Permissions" "Edit Default" button. And
ensure the
"Registry Value Permissions" list contains a minimum of the
following:
\\<ServerName>\Administrators, Interactive, System.
6- Select the “Default Configuration Permissions” “Edit Default”
button. Ensure the “Registry Value Permissions”
list contains a minimum of the following:
\\<ServerName>\Administrators
\\<ServerName>\Power Users
\\<ServerName>\Users
\\<ServerName>\Creator Owner
\\<ServerName>\Everyone
\\<ServerName>\System
7- Select the Applications tab.
Select the {000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} application properties
(this is the MSIServer application).
Ensure the “Authentication Level” is set to “Default” on the General tab.
Select the Security tab.
Ensure “Use default access permissions”, “Use default launch permissions”
and
“Use default configuration permissions” are selected. If not, ensure
the System account
is defined with all permissions.
8- Restart the system.
9- Try to install Basic2.msi package.

Step 4: Reinstall critical file from Windows 2000 SP2

1- Click Start, click Run, type "explorer /select,
%windir%\system32\msisip.dll"
(without the quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.
2- Right-click the Msisip.dll file, and then click Rename.
3- Rename the Msisip.dll file to "msisip.old" (without the quotation
marks), and then press ENTER.
4- Reinstall SP2 for Windows 2000.
5- Try to install Basic2.msi package.

Step 5: Give Full Control Permission to the SYSTEM Account

1- Start Windows Explorer, right-click the computer's root hard disk
drive, and click Properties.
2- Click the Security tab, and then click Add.
3- In the "Select Users, Computers, or Groups" dialog box, select the
SYSTEM account, click Add, and then click OK.
4- Click to select the Full Control check box under Allow, and then
click OK.
5- Right click on the MyComputer Icon, select Properties, select the
Advanced tab, the Environment button
and note the location for the Temp folder.
6- Select the TEMP folder and verify that the SYSTEM account has full
control.

Step 6: Verify Registry Permissions

1- Click Start, click Run, then type "Regedt32" (without the
quotation marks).
2- For each of the registry hives, follow these steps:

Select the hive.
For Windows XP, on the Edit menu, click Permissions.
For Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4, on the Security menu, click Permissions.
Verify that the SYSTEM account has been added and that it has Full control.
If it does not, add the SYSTEM account with Full control.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM\ROOT\LEGACY_MSISERVER
HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\MSIServer
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal
Server\Compatibility\Applications\MSIEXEC
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{000C101D-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

3- Reboot the machine
4- Run Instmsiw.exe (Instmsia.exe for Windows 95/98) for installer
2.0.
5- If Instmsiw.exe installation succeeds, try installing Basic2.msi
application.

Step 7a: Remove And Replace Engine Files on platforms < Windows XP. For
XP, perform an OS in place upgrade or reinstallation.

1- Boot to Safe Mode.
2- Delete the following 3 files from the <system root>\system32
directory:
§ msi.dll
§ msiexec.exe
§ msihnd.dll
3- Delete the following 3 files from the <system
root>\system32\dllcache directory:
§ msi.dll
§ msiexec.exe
§ msihnd.dll
4- Run Instmsiw(a).exe and reinstall Windows Installer engine.
5- Reboot the system normally.
6- Go to START, RUN, and type:

"msiexec /regserver" (Without the quotation marks)

7- Try to install Basic2.msi package.

Step 7b: If the above steps fail, use the following steps as a last resort
to reinstalling the OS.

1- Copy the Instmsiw.exe file to a C:\Test folder.
2- Select Start | Run and type the following to extract all the files
to the C:\Test folder:

C:\Test\ Instmsiw.exe /c /t:c:\Test

3- Boot into Safe Mode.
4- Copy all the files from the C:\Test folder to both the /<system
root>/system32/ and /<system root>/system32/dllcache/ folders.
5- Go to START, RUN, and type:

"msiexec /regserver" (Without the quotation marks)

6- Try to install Basic2.msi package.

Step 8: Rebuild the security on the MSIServer service key

1. Run regedit.exe and rename the following key to Old_Security:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer\Security

2. The default value under
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{000C101D-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\DllVersion.
If the version of msi.dll on the system is maj.min.bld.qfe, then the
default value for this key should be maj.min.bld

3. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer key.
At the very least, the following values should be set as follows:

ImagePath: Should be the full path to msiexec.exe with the command
line option of "/V".
ObjectName: Should be LocalSystem
Start: This should be SERVICE_DEMAND_START (0x3).
SERVICE_AUTO_START
(0x2) is also okay. I suspect that any other value will cause
issues.

Step 9: Enable Windows Installer Logging per Q314852

1. Enable Windows Installer Logging per Q314852

Open REGEDIT.EXE. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
Create a STRING value (Reg_SZ) of Logging with a value: voicewarmup

The order of the letters in ‘voicewarmup’ does not matter. This is merely
an easy acronym for finding the article.
See Q314852 for details on what each letter means if you are interested.

314852 How to Enable Windows Installer Logging in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314852

2. Launch the MSI package that is failing again.
3. A log will be created named MSI?????.LOG where ????? can be any
characters.
4. Review the log, primarily towards the end.

Look for machine and user policies being listed.
Also look for “error” and “disabled” and “rejected” and “lockdown” in the
LOG file.

Take corrective action as documented in LOG file.

Examples:
MSI (c) (08:1C): Machine policy value 'DisableMsi' is 2
MSI (c) (08:1C): Rejecting product '{GUID}': Msi is completely disabled.
MSI (c) (08:1C): Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 1

If you need the basic.msi email me offline and i'll get it to ya

Jason Hoffman (e-mail address removed)
MSCE,MSCA,CISSP, Security +
PSS Security
Available Mon.-Fri 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Office Phone: 425-704-3380