MSE plus Windows Firewall

Stuart

Are MSE plus Windows firewall and password protected user operations enough
to operate at McDonald's and Starbuck's or do I need a stronger firewall?
TIA.
Stuart

Stephen Boots MVP-Windows Live

MSE doesn't protect against intrusion, the firewall does. As long as
you do not have File and Printer Sharing enabled, so on Vista/7 you
identify the network as public, you're generally okay from a hack
attempt to connect to your PC. However, your communication between the
PC and the Internet can easily be intercepted on an open connection
(wireless).
-steve

Bill Sanderson

The Microsoft firewall is sufficient protection. The settings vary by OS
version--if asked, you should say you are on a public network, and that will
make the correct settings.

As Steve mentions, clear text communications, such as ordinary email can be
intercepted, so using an encrypted email solution, such as Exchange, or
hotmail or gmail--is a good thing.