MS Word is crashing XP

My PC has been running great for many months. I installed the SP2 pack about
3 weeks ago. Last week, when I opened WORD, after doing it's "checking for
virus" thing, the system crashed and I got the blue screen STOP error
message. There was reference to a driver, I think; D300NTGX.. And it
performed a memory dump.

It seems that WORD is the only application that is crashing the system.
EXCEL and ACCESS do not crash it nor do any other apps or games I've used in
the last week.

Any ideas?

Rob Hoffman

Are you using a cannon printer? If so I would check is to see if there is
an updated driver from the manufacturer since from what you are saying it
appears the problem is related to the D300NTGX which from what I can see on
the web is related to a cannon printer.

Best Regards,
Rob Hoffman, MCSE
Microsoft Enterprise Support Engineer

from your issue.

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZDYxNQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: MS Word is crashing XP
| Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:21:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| My PC has been running great for many months. I installed the SP2 pack
about
| 3 weeks ago. Last week, when I opened WORD, after doing it's "checking
for
| virus" thing, the system crashed and I got the blue screen STOP error
| message. There was reference to a driver, I think; D300NTGX.. And it
| performed a memory dump.
|
| It seems that WORD is the only application that is crashing the system.
| EXCEL and ACCESS do not crash it nor do any other apps or games I've used
in
| the last week.
|
| Any ideas?

Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

| Are you using a cannon printer? If so I would check is to see if there is
| an updated driver from the manufacturer since from what you are saying it
| appears the problem is related to the D300NTGX which from what I can see
on
| the web is related to a cannon printer.
|
| Best Regards,
| Rob Hoffman, MCSE
| Microsoft Enterprise Support Engineer
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

I think it's more likely to be a Canon printer.

This is one of those days I feel really stupid..!! But I'd like to thank Rob
and Raymond for their quick responses that got me on the right track. A few
days ago I installed my Canon printer (attached to my laptop) as a shared
drive from my desktop PC and somehow it got created on my desktop as the
default drive. Well, I haven't turned my laptop on for a few days and as soon
as I removed the default setting from my Canon printer and set it to the HP
printer on my desktop, WORD ran perfectly OK. It didn't like being told that
the default printer wasn't available..

These newsgroups within Microsoft are the best resource I've found for
solving some of these little riddles.. Keep up the great effort folks..!