From: Jim Allchin
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 8:38 AM
To: Bill Gates; Steve Ballmer
Subject: losing our way...

This is a rant. I'm sorry.

I am not sure how the company lost sight of what matters to our
customers (both business and home) the most, but in my view we lost
our way. I think our teams lost sight of what bug-free means, what
resilience means, what full scenarios mean, what security means, what
performance means, how important current applications are, and really
understanding what the most important problems [our] customers face
are. I see lots of random features and some great vision, but that
doesn't translate onto great products.

I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft. If you run
the equivalent of VPC on a MAC you get access to basically all Windows
application software (although not the hardware). Apple did not lose
their way. You must watch this new video below. I know this doesn't
show anything for businesses, but my point is about the philosophy
that Apple uses. They think scenario. They think simple. They think
fast. I know there is nothing hugely deep in this.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/video/ilife04_32C.html [Note: link no
longer works]

I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do what
I called plan (b) yesterday We need a simple fast storage system. LH
is a pig and I don't see any solution to this problem. If we are to
rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we need to start taking the
lessons of "scenario, simple, fast" to heart.

jim

Tom Dacon

We need a simple fast storage system. LH
is a pig and I don't see any solution to this problem.

Anybody know what LH is?

Thanks,
Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

Alias

Tom said:
Anybody know what LH is?

Thanks,
Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

Long Horn. It's an animal that goes by the name of "Frank" in this
newsgroup.

Alias

Gigaflop

Alias said:
Long Horn. It's an animal that goes by the name of "Frank" in this
newsgroup.

Alias

Then there is SF. Sheep ****er. It's a troll that goes by the name "Alias"
in this group.

+Bob+

+Bob+ wrote:

<snipped>

Most that come to this NG other than a troll like you are using Vista.
The post would mean something if it were posted to a non Vista NG.

It's just confirmation that even MS Senior Management admits that they
have lost their way and that Vista is a terrible product.
By the way, are you not using Vista? If you comeback and say that you
are using Vista, then you are a hypocrite, plain and simple.

I do use Vista. It's what runs on my laptop. The fact that I use it
and I know that it sucks doesn't make me a hypocrite, it makes me a
more accurate poster.

+Bob+

[Sorry. This message is no longer available.]

Hey, look at that. Whoever runs the newsserver at MS thinks it's
important to censor posts containing emails that have been publicly
disclosed by court order. I'll have to assume that that person doesn't
quite understand that this is now legally public info.

Oh well, you can read it here or a thousand other places. Just google
for "Jim Allchin" and "mac".

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/allchins_buy_a_mac_email_exposed.html

+Bob+

When was that article created? It was 2004 or something? I can't see it
anymore because it has been NG killfiled.

I reposted a link it for you. The age is irrelevant, he was discussing
the development issues and the problems we've all seen in Vista. It's
also possible to see the (lame) patches such as UAC that were layered
on top to try to cover up the deficiencies he exposed.
Anyway, a company president is
a dime a dozen, which most of the more powerful ones have driven the
country into the ground lining their pockets. I bet he wasn't
complaining when he went to the bank to cash his check.

Whatever. He thought enough of Vista that he resigned the day after it
shipped. That's a typical corporate escape route: Finish the product
to be "responsible", then head out the door.
I disagree with you.

And I with you.

+Bob+

I say it's BS, because what MS took was already implemented in Linux and
Open BSD, the MS way of doing things.

<snip unrelated nonsense>

What on earth are you rambling on about? The posted email is about how
bad Vista sucks. Deal with it.
Vista is doing what I need it to do which is protect itself. And I don't
care what you are talking about, because all you're doing is talking and
nothing else. That's because you are a complainer by nature, and it's in
your make-up/in your blood.

I posted an analysis of Vista by MS's President. You posted nonsense.

Well, he may have jumped ship too soon. Maybe, Jobs gave him a job.

You've obviously never worked anywhere but in the local Highway
Department or as a small cog in the big wheel.
So be it and there is nothing else to be said about it.

Except that you can't even admit how much Vista sucks even though the
same analysis comes from an MS senior executive.

+Bob+

I reposted a link it for you.

Seems like MS doesn't like links to facts being posted here, even
though the documents in question have been released to the public by a
US Court and are on the Internet in about 1000 locations including a
site set up by the Iowa court.

If you want to read the article you will have to google "James
Allchin" and "I would buy a mac today".

Carey Frisch [MVP]

That infamous email message was sent on January 7, 2004, two (2) years before
Windows Vista was finalized and released to the public. What is the point of posting old news not
even pertinent to today's Vista users? All you did was post garbage! No wonder
it was canceled!

+Bob+ said:
[Sorry. This message is no longer available.]

Hey, look at that. Whoever runs the newsserver at MS thinks it's
important to censor posts containing emails that have been publicly
disclosed by court order. I'll have to assume that that person doesn't
quite understand that this is now legally public info.

Oh well, you can read it here or a thousand other places. Just google
for "Jim Allchin" and "mac".

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/allchins_buy_a_mac_email_exposed.html

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Correction: Make that almost three (3) years before Vista was released worldwide.

+Bob+ said:
[Sorry. This message is no longer available.]

Hey, look at that. Whoever runs the newsserver at MS thinks it's
important to censor posts containing emails that have been publicly
disclosed by court order. I'll have to assume that that person doesn't
quite understand that this is now legally public info.

Oh well, you can read it here or a thousand other places. Just google
for "Jim Allchin" and "mac".

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/allchins_buy_a_mac_email_exposed.html

The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

Carey said:
That infamous email message was sent on January 7, 2004, two (2) years before
Windows Vista was finalized and released to the public. What is the point of posting old news not
even pertinent to today's Vista users? All you did was post [the truth] garbage! No wonder
it was canceled!

Besides all of the FUD you post Carey, the fact that you are calling the
truth which is what Bob posted garbage yet again exposes you for the
shill of MS shills that you are. What a schmuck!

--
"Software is like sex, it's better when it's free."
- Linus Torvalds

DRM and unintended consequences:
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=435&tag=nl.e101

+Bob+

That infamous email message was sent on January 7, 2004, two (2) years before
Windows Vista was finalized and released to the public. What is the point of posting old news not
even pertinent to today's Vista users? All you did was post garbage! No wonder
it was canceled!

The message was not about a specific release. It was about the company
philosophy. Try looking at the forest instead of the trees.

Question for you: Why do you suppose he resigned from a very senior
position with one of the most profitable software companies in the
world, the day after Vista shipped?

Alias

+Bob+ said:
The message was not about a specific release. It was about the company
philosophy. Try looking at the forest instead of the trees.

Question for you: Why do you suppose he resigned from a very senior
position with one of the most profitable software companies in the
world, the day after Vista shipped?

He had principles?

Alias

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Setting The Record Straight:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/12/12/title.aspx

Jim Allchin was found to be critical of Microsoft relaxing its requirements for PC's to carry the 'Vista Capable' badge.
The seal, designed to inform customers of a PC's ability to run the Windows Vista operating system, was not initially
intended for computers running Intel's 915 chipset. This was overturned however, after Intel voiced their dissatisfaction
with the decision.

In an email to Microsoft's Steve Ballmer, Allchin wrote:

" I believe we are going to be misleading customers with the Capable program. OEMs will say a machine is Capable
and customers will believe that it will run all the core Vista features.
....We must avoid confusion. It is wrong for customers."

And.....

Michael Sievert, Corporate Vice President for Windows Product Marketing, resigned in February 2008:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/sievert/default.mspx

Microsoft Taps Top AT&T Wireless Executive to Lead Windows Product Team:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/mar05/03-01sievertpr.mspx

It appeared to be a case of marketing trumping engineering which ticked-off many engineers.
Jim Allchin was a brilliant software developer and knew his stuff. He retired because he
was worn-out. And he could well-afford to.

+Bob+ said:
The message was not about a specific release. It was about the company
philosophy. Try looking at the forest instead of the trees.

Question for you: Why do you suppose he resigned from a very senior
position with one of the most profitable software companies in the
world, the day after Vista shipped?

Can't anyone read?! Jim Allchin retired so he could buy a Mac! ;) <g>

--
[...]

Yes, Allchin was a true asset for MS. I never really felt that way
about Bill Gates until I compared him to Ballmer, but Bill is definately
the lesser of the 2 evils. Now that these guys are gone, MS is
completely screwed as far as management goes. There is no quality
leadership left there.

Allchin was also a very smart man for leaving when he did! He Managed
to avoid the whole Vista embarrassment and still take a huge pension too.

--
"Software is like sex, it's better when it's free."
- Linus Torvalds

DRM and unintended consequences:
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=435&tag=nl.e101

+Bob+

It appeared to be a case of marketing trumping engineering which ticked-off many engineers.
Jim Allchin was a brilliant software developer and knew his stuff. He retired because he
was worn-out. And he could well-afford to.

What you really mean is that any engineer would be embarrassed to be
associated with the POS that is Vista and what MS has become.

As Jim pointed out, they lost their way.