Balmer and Gates (dre) Ordered to Court on Stand

Chad Harris

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Microsoft_Class_Action.html

Judge: Microsoft's Gates must testify

By DAVID PITT
AP BUSINESS WRITER

DES MOINES, Iowa -- A district court judge in Iowa has ordered Microsoft
Corp. Chairman Bill Gates and CEO Steve Ballmer to testify in person at a
trial in Iowa later this month.

The company is facing a class-action antitrust lawsuit, which seeks up to
$450 million for Iowans who have purchased the software maker's products
since 1994. The case claims anticompetitive practices by Microsoft caused
consumers to pay more for its products that they would have otherwise.

Microsoft says its products have been successful because of their low cost
and high quality.

"We believe that Iowa consumers and businesses received incredible value
from our products at affordable prices," said Microsoft attorney Rich
Wallis.

A jury trial is scheduled to begin in Des Moines on Nov. 13.

Polk County District Judge Scott Rosenberg said the request by plaintiffs'
attorney Roxanne Conlin to have Gates and Ballmer appear in person was not
unreasonable.

"The requested witnesses are in important decision-making positions for the
defendant," he wrote in an opinion dated Thursday. "The jury should be
allowed to view them live during both parties' case presentation to observe
their demeanor and help the jury to assess their credibility. This method of
questioning by both parties will make the witnesses' interrogation and
presentation effective for the ascertainment of the truth."

Wallis said the two executives had planned on appearing at the trial and the
motion seeking a judge's order was unnecessary.

"She was going to have the opportunity to ask any questions she wanted of
Bill and Steve when they came to Iowa as part of our case," Wallis said. "I
think she wanted to call them first in her case and asked the judge
permission to do so."

Conlin said the judge's ruling means they must appear when she calls for
them and must answer questions she poses on topics of her choosing.

"The point was to have them come when I wanted them to testify," she said.
"We really do see this as a significant win for us."

The Iowa case is one of a few remaining state antitrust cases against the
Redmond, Wash.-based software manufacturer.

Conlin said the trial is anticipated to last six months, but Wallis doubted
it would take that long.

CH

Travis King

Knew about this already for a month or two, but maybe that's because that's
the area we live in and it was all over our local news as well as getting
this in our inboxes... If MS loses, anyone with MS software purchased until
a certain date will get a little money - however likely small. Oh well,
I'll just put it towards buying Vista. ; )

Chad Harris

I like Walter's columns, because they are designed to explain devices and
software for any user regardless of where they are on a learning curve, and
he and his partner at WSJ Kara Swisher host an annual conference All Things
Digital in which top technology leaders, such as Bill Gates and Steve Jobs,
appear on stage without prepared remarks, or slides, and are interviewed by
the two columnists.

People who do web site where they review all imaginable devices will tell
you about the "Walter Rule" where they are asked by the manufacturers of
many of them not to review them until Walter has written the first one.

Walter's Site from WSJ column (ck. it out if you haven't)
ptech.wsj.com/

Walt Mossberg makes or breaks products from his pundit perch at a little rag
called The Wall Street Journal:
www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.05/mossberg.html

Cyber Elite -- WALTER MOSSBERG
www.time.com/time/digital/cyberelite/50.html

Also be sure and see:

www.nytimes.com/circuits

pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/

www.nytimes.com/tech

www.washingtonpost.com/tech

CH

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yeah, its just seeing the three of them sit there so friendly.

Saucy Sass

They [Balmer / Gates] probably should have taken up law as they are in such
demand in the court system. It seems silly to me to be asking these men to
appear over and over again over the same over-contrived, fussy and worn out
issues.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
| Since we are on OT Microsoft news, check out of these pics of Steve Jobs,
| Bill Gates and Walt Mossberg at the same table. Never seen these before:
| http://d.smugmug.com/gallery/581721/1
|
| "Chad Harris" <Vista RTM is really Beta 1.net> wrote in message
| || http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Microsoft_Class_Action.html
|| Judge: Microsoft's Gates must testify
|| By DAVID PITT
|| AP BUSINESS WRITER
|| DES MOINES, Iowa -- A district court judge in Iowa has ordered Microsoft
|| Corp. Chairman Bill Gates and CEO Steve Ballmer to testify in person at a
|| trial in Iowa later this month.
|| The company is facing a class-action antitrust lawsuit, which seeks up to
|| $450 million for Iowans who have purchased the software maker's products
|| since 1994. The case claims anticompetitive practices by Microsoft caused
|| consumers to pay more for its products that they would have otherwise.
|| Microsoft says its products have been successful because of their low
|| cost and high quality.
|| "We believe that Iowa consumers and businesses received incredible value
|| from our products at affordable prices," said Microsoft attorney Rich
|| Wallis.
|| A jury trial is scheduled to begin in Des Moines on Nov. 13.
|| Polk County District Judge Scott Rosenberg said the request by
|| plaintiffs' attorney Roxanne Conlin to have Gates and Ballmer appear in
|| person was not unreasonable.
|| "The requested witnesses are in important decision-making positions for
|| the defendant," he wrote in an opinion dated Thursday. "The jury should
|| be allowed to view them live during both parties' case presentation to
|| observe their demeanor and help the jury to assess their credibility.
|| This method of questioning by both parties will make the witnesses'
|| interrogation and presentation effective for the ascertainment of the
|| truth."
|| Wallis said the two executives had planned on appearing at the trial and
|| the motion seeking a judge's order was unnecessary.
|| "She was going to have the opportunity to ask any questions she wanted of
|| Bill and Steve when they came to Iowa as part of our case," Wallis said.
|| "I think she wanted to call them first in her case and asked the judge
|| permission to do so."
|| Conlin said the judge's ruling means they must appear when she calls for
|| them and must answer questions she poses on topics of her choosing.
|| "The point was to have them come when I wanted them to testify," she
|| said. "We really do see this as a significant win for us."
|| The Iowa case is one of a few remaining state antitrust cases against the
|| Redmond, Wash.-based software manufacturer.
|| Conlin said the trial is anticipated to last six months, but Wallis
|| doubted it would take that long.
|| CH

Travis King

I personally think it's silly as well. My opinion is, if the software's too
expensive, don't buy it - that simple. They shouldn't get sued because
they're asking too much for the software. If that were the case, then the
oil companies should get sued as well. ; )
Saucy Sass said:
They [Balmer / Gates] probably should have taken up law as they are in
such
demand in the court system. It seems silly to me to be asking these men to
appear over and over again over the same over-contrived, fussy and worn
out
issues.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
| Since we are on OT Microsoft news, check out of these pics of Steve
Jobs,
| Bill Gates and Walt Mossberg at the same table. Never seen these before:
| http://d.smugmug.com/gallery/581721/1
|
| "Chad Harris" <Vista RTM is really Beta 1.net> wrote in message
| ||
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Microsoft_Class_Action.html
|| Judge: Microsoft's Gates must testify
|| By DAVID PITT
|| AP BUSINESS WRITER
|| DES MOINES, Iowa -- A district court judge in Iowa has ordered
Microsoft
|| Corp. Chairman Bill Gates and CEO Steve Ballmer to testify in person at
|| trial in Iowa later this month.
|| The company is facing a class-action antitrust lawsuit, which seeks up
|| $450 million for Iowans who have purchased the software maker's
products
|| since 1994. The case claims anticompetitive practices by Microsoft
caused
|| consumers to pay more for its products that they would have otherwise.
|| Microsoft says its products have been successful because of their low
|| cost and high quality.
|| "We believe that Iowa consumers and businesses received incredible
value
|| from our products at affordable prices," said Microsoft attorney Rich
|| Wallis.
|| A jury trial is scheduled to begin in Des Moines on Nov. 13.
|| Polk County District Judge Scott Rosenberg said the request by
|| plaintiffs' attorney Roxanne Conlin to have Gates and Ballmer appear in
|| person was not unreasonable.
|| "The requested witnesses are in important decision-making positions for
|| the defendant," he wrote in an opinion dated Thursday. "The jury should
|| be allowed to view them live during both parties' case presentation to
|| observe their demeanor and help the jury to assess their credibility.
|| This method of questioning by both parties will make the witnesses'
|| interrogation and presentation effective for the ascertainment of the
|| truth."
|| Wallis said the two executives had planned on appearing at the trial
and
|| the motion seeking a judge's order was unnecessary.
|| "She was going to have the opportunity to ask any questions she wanted
of
|| Bill and Steve when they came to Iowa as part of our case," Wallis
said.
|| "I think she wanted to call them first in her case and asked the judge
|| permission to do so."
|| Conlin said the judge's ruling means they must appear when she calls
for
|| them and must answer questions she poses on topics of her choosing.
|| "The point was to have them come when I wanted them to testify," she
|| said. "We really do see this as a significant win for us."
|| The Iowa case is one of a few remaining state antitrust cases against
the
|| Redmond, Wash.-based software manufacturer.
|| Conlin said the trial is anticipated to last six months, but Wallis
|| doubted it would take that long.
|| CH

Chad Harris

Naw. Many of the issues are viable for all the contributions on so many
fronts they've made. MSFT has a lot of arrogance levereged into planning it
will often be litigated.

SPP is just one. They'll back off that or be easily backed off it.

Many issues are only tired and worn out if you are.

Americans are very tired and worn out. Look at the stupidity of the
commercials for their political campaigns and the fact that they are so
stupid that the 4 types of evoting machines have absolutely no check and
balance on them other than proprietary software that the companies control
and not one Secretary of State has lifted a fingure to insure election
acuracy--let alone the gerrymandering or carving up of districts that
leverage a fix in most elections.

The philosophy Brad Smith and upper mgt at Softy Soft has always projected
is "screw it" we'll do whatever the fk and sort it out later we have near
bottom less resources--the hell with our employees and stockholders' revenue
sharing at the lower levels.

If your butt hangs out in Seattle get off it and vote www.darcybruner.com
for Congress former Softie Soft PM.

CH

Saucy Sass said:
> [...]

|| "She was going to have the opportunity to ask any questions she wanted
of
|| Bill and Steve when they came to Iowa as part of our case," Wallis
said.
|| "I think she wanted to call them first in her case and asked the judge
|| permission to do so."
|| Conlin said the judge's ruling means they must appear when she calls
for
|| them and must answer questions she poses on topics of her choosing.
|| "The point was to have them come when I wanted them to testify," she
|| said. "We really do see this as a significant win for us."
|| The Iowa case is one of a few remaining state antitrust cases against
the
|| Redmond, Wash.-based software manufacturer.
|| Conlin said the trial is anticipated to last six months, but Wallis

Chad Harris

Travis. the oil companies will continue to do whatever the hell they like as
long as your fellow Americans are completely apathetic and your Congress is
in hooker mode, with the companies playing John and the lobbyist in their
pimp fur coats and purple suits disguised as Ralph Lauren.

The Iowa case actually will have implications beyond Iowa because if MSFT
loses or settles it could easily have a ripple or copy cat effect in other
states. The same software is there.

As for buying it most of your future citizens in America don't buy it. They
steal it via P2P from their university dorms or comfortable homes instead
of ramming their car through a plate glass windows and beating it out of the
stores.

Then they lie about it like the mommy whose kids are being sued by RIAA and
the 35000 and climbing of your fellow Americans who have been ordered into a
fed courtroom and forced to sing a consent agreement to pay $3500 to RIAA
whose downloads are all tracked and their identities legally subpoenaed
from their ISPs.

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/02/tech/main2145471.shtml

CH