Access MS Access - Multi User Lock Issue

Reaction score
i am experiencing an issue with a multi user environment. Keep in mind that I wasn't part of the design of the database just to manage it..

The database is used to track employee productivity per hour - The database has been split with a FE and BE in different directories.. All users have read/write access to both directories. FE have been distributed to each user's PC.

Data Entry process - There are multiple subforms on a main form (not bound to each other). All subforms are bound to the same table and fields. The record source of the subform is a select query with criteria (to limit it by that user, hour and date - prevents everyone from seeing each others records).

During the beta process we had no issues - but recently there have been issues (with multiple users). If they are initially entering data to create the record, it creates just fine. But sporadically it locks the records where they can't be updated (by any users). But after a while it times out and they are able to edit the record.

What would cause that? I contemplated creating the forms unbound and opening record sets..

Ask a Question