MPEG2 Not

S

Stewart Berman

Windows Movie Maker choked when I imported an MPEG2 file. So I search Microsoft's support and found
the note about WMM not be able to import MPEG2 files even if Windows Media Player could play them.
It suggested that Windows Media Encoder would be able to convert the file.

I downloaded and installed WME. I tried using the wizard but when I clicked on finish WME just
disappeared. I then skipped the wizard and tried manually defining the input and conversion. When
I hit apply WME hung. It would not repaint. It did respond to the minimize button but it would not
close. When I tried using Task Manager to kill it the dialog box that asks if you want to send a
report about why you had to kill a program popped up but WME didn't go away. It wasn't using any
CPU cycles so I just minimized it until I could log out and reboot.

The file was created on the same machine with Video Redo Plus editing a clip. I just wanted to
convert it to an WMV file to put on a web site.

I can run it through Nero first to convert to an MPEG1 but that shouldn't be necessary.

Any idea on how to get either Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder to work with MPEG2 input
would be appreciated.

Ask a Question