Mpeg2 import

G

Whenever I import an mpeg2 file into movie maker, all I get is the audio and a black screen. The thing is that it plays fine in Windows Media Player, just not WMM2. I have tried every mpeg2 codec download I can find, and several mpeg2 players. I have also tried to convert the mpeg2 into a avi or wmv, but the quality loss is quite severe. Can anyone suggest an mpeg2 codec or free converter program that doesn't lose too much quality, or other solution?

B

Bob [MVP]

Take a look at www.papajohn.org

--
-Bob

TomU said:
Whenever I import an mpeg2 file into movie maker, all I get is the audio and a black screen. The thing is that it plays fine in
Windows Media Player, just not WMM2. I have tried every mpeg2 codec download I can find, and several mpeg2 players. I have also
tried to convert the mpeg2 into a avi or wmv, but the quality loss is quite severe. Can anyone suggest an mpeg2 codec or free
converter program that doesn't lose too much quality, or other solution?

G

I loaded up the Ligos (Indeo 5.1.1) codec suggested on papajohn.org but that didn't help. I think that I have all the common mpeg2 codecs, they just don't seem to work with WMM2. In fact on a different machine with exactly the same set of codecs the mpeg2 file works fine with WMM2. Does this suggest that the problem is with WMM2?

B

Bob [MVP]

The fact that you have the Ligos decoder installed
doesn't mean that MM2 is using it. The only way
to ensure that MM2 uses that specific decoder is
to uninstall, unregister, or rename all the MPEG-2
decoders.

Bottom line is that MM2 is pretty poor when it
comes to MPEG-2 decoder compatibility. I don't
know why, but that just seems to be the way it is.

--
-Bob

TomU said:
I loaded up the Ligos (Indeo 5.1.1) codec suggested on papajohn.org but that didn't help. I think that I have all the common mpeg2
codecs, they just don't seem to work with WMM2. In fact on a different machine with exactly the same set of codecs the mpeg2 file
works fine with WMM2. Does this suggest that the problem is with WMM2?

Ask a Question