Mp3 player (USB device) not showing in my computer?

Reaction score
Right, I'm at my wits end with this one.

I have a creative zen stone mp3 player that is not being recognised in My Computer and therefore I can't access it.

It has previously worked but I use a lot of USB devices so I think it's a Drive letter conflict problem.
The device is showing in computer management under Device manager>Disk drives. BUT I cannot access Disk Management and so cannot change it's drive letter. At the bottom of the window is the message 'Connecting to Logical Disk Manager servivce' and then 'Still Connecting' but nothing happens after this. If I unplug the device, disk manager works fine again.

One other strange occurance in My Computer is that although I cannot see the device, when i unplug it, it shows as 'Removable Disk F' for a spit second before dissapearing again.
I have tried:

Changing other device drive letters
Uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling
Resetting the Mp3 player

Any help please?!

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
orangepeel said:
Right, I'm at my wits end with this one.

I have a creative zen stone mp3 player that is not being recognised in My Computer and therefore I can't access it.

It has previously worked but I use a lot of USB devices so I think it's a Drive letter conflict problem.
The device is showing in computer management under Device manager>Disk drives. BUT I cannot access Disk Management and so cannot change it's drive letter. At the bottom of the window is the message 'Connecting to Logical Disk Manager servivce' and then 'Still Connecting' but nothing happens after this. If I unplug the device, disk manager works fine again.

One other strange occurance in My Computer is that although I cannot see the device, when i unplug it, it shows as 'Removable Disk F' for a spit second before dissapearing again.
I have tried:

Changing other device drive letters
Uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling
Resetting the Mp3 player

Any help please?!

Thanks in advance

Have you tried the Mp3 device in any other computers....?
You say you cannpt access disk Management, are you getting any messages stopping you, and if so what are they..?
You say you use many USB devices..By this do you mean you user many USB devices at once..?
As for it been a drive letter issue..erm unless you have more than 26 USB devices plugged in at once I doubt it..

Edit: Check out THIS link for understanding of drive letter assignment..

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Try it in another usb port or try it using a usb hub. I have a similar type of problem and using the above methods have worked for me.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Still no luck

I've tried using it through a USB hub and in a different port, with no joy.
The issue is with my pc, not the mp3 player as it works fine on a friends laptop. Occasionally though, 'Removable Disk F' does pop up in My Computer but when I click on it causes the windows explorer to crash and dissapear until I unplug the device and things return to normal.
On a side note, a restart takes a LOT longer with the device plugged in, don't know if that means anything.

Any help out there?

Thanks all.

Ask a Question