MP3 Jukebox as HI-FI separate?

Reaction score
Is there an MP3 jukebox which can be readily incorporated into a HI-FI separates system? I want something to replace my 5-cd player (still too much getting up from my sofa!) so it'll need to work by remote (with a screen for track selection), be of cd quality output (through an amp) or, live next to my sofa with a wireless connection to the amp.

Can any single killer gadget perform the above, or would an I-Pod with add-on be the biscuit?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
MP3 can never be classified as HIFI. The upper limit is defined as 15,000 Hz. You best bet is still a cd changer if you are craving for quality. The quality of MP3 also depends on the bit rate. The highest bit rate will generate a large file and fewer are accomodated on any media.

Wireless connection also is not a good option for HIFI, good quality equipment is still wired. Wireless headphones for instance are always shunned by audiophiles.

You have to make up your mind whether you want quality or convenience. Both at the same time are not easy to come by.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't actually know of a multiplayer for connecting to a home stereo system/Hi-Fi, but there again, I haven't looked at what's on the market lately.

They're available for cars, for sure, but not sure about home use.

What Quad says is true, mp3 isn't for purists, but I often use my DVD player linked to my Hi-Fi to play around eight albums from one CD, just for background music.

You could try looking at www.richersounds.co.uk they may stock something to suit you.

Reaction score
Thanks, chaps. Guess what I'm after doesn't exist yet, at least not with sufficient quality. It'll happen though, CD will die to be replaced by another digital format not dependent on shiny disks to get around on. Global wireless internet with massive bandwidth is what I need, then I could listen to my music anywhere, even the lounge, streaming at high quality from a central storage facility.

Reaction score
hi all im new :)

yes i think this mite be usfull to you ARGOS has a HiFi separates mp3 player, amplifier dab/fm turner, and a JUKEBOX that saves up to 20.000 tracks on it would this be enye use :)

Reaction score
Ipods are fashion accessories. Full stop. They simply aren't the best MP3 players on the market - they are just superficially pleasing. If you want something for your HI-FI, you'll need something with the best audio quality and support for newer formats than the ancient MP3.

Iriver are the most geek/audiophile respected mp3 manufacturer.The i-river h340 is probably the best sounding thing you can get. It has built in WOW, TrueBASS, and SRS technology, which make it sound unbelievably good. I'd much rather listen to an 160hz mp3 on my h340 with those three effects cranked up than listen to a regular CD player.

It can also play AVI movies - Which was just an 'update' to the firmware! - It's not even advertised on the box! so I'm sure when more formats with more HiFidelity freqency ranges come out, IRiver will be sure to get it ready for them.

However, it's also about £300 quid...

Last edited:
Reaction score
mp3 players

yeah but i prefer the Ministry of Sound MOSMP080 20GB hard disk drive, stores up to 7,500 mp3 tracks or 15,000 wma MP3/WMA/DRM/WMP/JPEG/BMP/GIF/MOV/MOTION/JPEG/TEXT compatible.
2.0in colour LCD display very nice in my book.:D

Reaction score
kowalski said:
yeah but i prefer the Ministry of Sound MOSMP080 20GB hard disk drive, stores up to 7,500 mp3 tracks or 15,000 wma MP3/WMA/DRM/WMP/JPEG/BMP/GIF/MOV/MOTION/JPEG/TEXT compatible.
2.0in colour LCD display very nice in my book.:D

I think the badge says it all for the Ministry of Sound products! I'm quietly condfident it's actually a generic Korean company or something that actually makes the thing.

MOV's a pretty useless portable movie format - because have you ever tried downloading a movie in anything other than AVI or MPG on a P2P?! AVI and MPG are also interchangable, I'm not sure if MOV is..

I have a 2 hour journey to college every day. Yesterday I watched American beauty on the bus, today Sin Citys is about to finish so I'll watch that. I even downloaded Shindlers List last week (I'm waiting for a plane flight or something). Okay okay, it may be illegal, but its blatently much cooler...

Also, if you seriously want to be able to play other formats you'll need at least 40gig...

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
JukeBox vs. iPod

Hadleyuk said:
Is there an MP3 jukebox which can be readily incorporated into a HI-FI separates system? I want something to replace my 5-cd player (still too much getting up from my sofa!) so it'll need to work by remote (with a screen for track selection), be of cd quality output (through an amp) or, live next to my sofa with a wireless connection to the amp.

Can any single killer gadget perform the above, or would an I-Pod with add-on be the biscuit?
Going back to the original question, what about using a JukeBox system for your CD's? Several years ago I bought a SONY system with a 300 CD changer which also doubles up as a DVD player. Full front-indexing is available and I think they now have a 400+ unit on the market.

On the question of iPod quality, I agree with Quads that these devices do have a more restricted sound spectrum, but in reality, most people's hearing is unlikely to notice the limitations in the 15KHz+ upper ranges(unless your dog borrows your iPod occasionally?) You can increase the sampling rate which will improve the output, and I can assure you that whe I use my iPod for pre-show mixes at large concerts, it still sounds spot-on thru' a 10K watt system!

Ask a Question