Mozilla Quantum

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of this before - but it looks like it does have some pretty major improvements:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/27/firefox-quantum-double-speed-twice-fast-browser-mozilla/

After announcing plans for Project Quantum late last year, Mozilla has now launched its overhauled Firefox in beta stage, making it an increasingly imminent challenge to Chrome. And it's a very feasible challenge too, given the browser's improvements. Speed is its main selling point -- Mozilla says Quantum is roughly twice as fast as Firefox was a year ago. This is largely due to a new CSS engine written in Mozilla's programming language, Rust, which operates across cores rather than as a single memory-hungry process on one core. It also priorities tabs, loading up in-use tabs before background ones, which Mozilla says makes Quantum 30 percent more RAM-efficient than Chrome. The team has also tracked down and eliminated 469 bugs that were contributing to slowness.
As soon as this launches, I'll be downloading it :).

Ad

Advertisements

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I like the look of the voice to search and the send features. Very interesting.:cool:

Ad

Advertisements

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I gave it a go and it was nice and fast. The last 2 days I kept getting the message " FF is not responding " and it would actually lock my PC completely so I would have to reboot. Back to normal FF now.

Ask a Question