Moving ISP

Reaction score
We have decided to move ISP from Virgin to possibly Sky.
When we contact Virgin what do we need etc to move to another ISP?
Been with Virgin for 10 years, but sadly the service is so poor & our connection keeps cutting out!

Reaction score
Hi,

When you are moving ISP, you need to ask your old ISP for a MAC code, they will give this to you and then you give it to your new ISP and then they do all the rest, a few days later you will be connected again.

What speed are you getting with Virgin?

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
4MB.
But this is hardly ever reached, more like 1 to 3MB max.
Lots of problems with Virgin, costs £££ & service currently getting as bad as 56k dial up!:mad::mad::mad:

Reaction score
feckit said:
4MB.
But this is hardly ever reached, more like 1 to 3MB max.
Lots of problems with Virgin, costs £££ & service currently getting as bad as 56k dial up!:mad::mad::mad:

That is really bad, what did they say when you told them? I would definitely go ahead and move to another ISP.

Reaction score
BB is ADSL down the telephone line, max our BT exchange can take is 4MB until Q1 2009 when it will be upgraded.
Virgin seem to have no idea whats wrong, they think it's a BT fault on the line, BT say it's Virgins fault!
Will get a MAC code from Virgin as soon as we have decided who we will use next, but probably Sky.

Reaction score
Ooooo, another defector to the darkside.....
TBH I been using Sky BB Max with my Sky package (got phone, Variaty package and BB Max for a total of £37 a month including line rental).
I heard a few peopel say that they have issues with gaming but I play EVE, Diablo 2 LOD and various X-360 titles online without any issues.

BARGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Virgin are sending the MAC Code.
Do i need this before contacting Sky or once i have it?
Obviously the Sky service will take time before we get all the Hardware & Software delivered etc.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
feckit said:
BB is ADSL down the telephone line, max our BT exchange can take is 4MB until Q1 2009 when it will be upgraded.
Virgin seem to have no idea whats wrong, they think it's a BT fault on the line, BT say it's Virgins fault!
The old BT v ISP fighting
wallbash.gif

What kind of testing did Virgin do with you at your PC/Modem/Router end when you reported your problems?

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
The old BT v ISP fighting
wallbash.gif

What kind of testing did Virgin do with you at your PC/Modem/Router end when you reported your problems?
No real testing on PC or USB Modem that i know off.
I dont think Virgin know whats wrong & fobbed us off with it being a BT problem.
Not sure how long we will be off the net for between the migration to Sky.
Will carry on Crunching though.:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
When I had a problem a few weeks ago, I phoned my ISP (Zen) and they went through all sorts of testing over the phone.....including getting me to go into the router settings and changing the user/passwords to a series of BT testing codes etc. After it all they told me it was definately a problem at BT's end (to do with their relay transmitter or something) and would immediately get in touch with them and get them to sort it.

That evening I spoke with a couple of neighbours and they both said they were having problems too, which obviously confirmed Zens findings.......and within a few hours all was well again, with Zen ringing me to make sure.

I see your using a USB modem - so thats one thing which would be good to get rid off and get yourself a proper ethernet cable ADSL router....also how do you connect to the phone line, is it to the master socket or an extention? have you tried new ADSL filters to the sockets? Have you tried connecting direct to the BT master testing socket? Have you tried another modem? - a proper one, not a cr*ppy USB one!!!

Have you spoken to any close neighbours and seeing who they're with and what speeds they get? Have you checked with BT to make sure your not on a DACS (shared) line? What is the quality of your line coming from the pole into the house to the master socket?

The quality of your line both internal and external and its associated 'noise' levels determines what speeds you get - it may be that your SNR and line attenuation etc are such that the BT automated Sync system (DSLAM) is having to reduce your speeds to cope - this is where a good ethernet cable ADSL modem which can hold on to a weak signal helps, especially if the USB modem you are using is either poor or in some way defective ;)

All these things and more should really be checked first, as if it is an equipment/phoneline issue then it may make no difference at all changing ISP's.

Reaction score
Cheers Ady.:thumb:
Virgin have had a month to sought this out & done nothing, we have been fobbed off with excuse after excuse.
Tried master test socket, different filters etc all have resulted in nothing.
Not sure if moving will be better, but at least we will be paying £10 a month less!!

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Okey dokey - I agree it does seem Virgin don't push for their customers in the way some other ISP's do, hopefully Sky will be better........one reason I stick with Zen - they are by no means the cheapest, but their customer service is superb :thumb:

Hopefully the info I gave above will be useful for someone else in the future.

Oh......and you do know you can just edit your posts rather than keep deleting them and doing another one :p

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Ady
Oh......and you do know you can just edit your posts rather than keep deleting them and doing another one :p

thats why he is on 5K+ posts..
nod.gif

I am also going to move to from Virgin , I currently have 2mb unlimited (£17.99 p/m old NTL rate) seldom get 2mb (Nodody in particular lives around the corner and his connection is the same ) , have tried to get one of Virgins current Internet pakages but they keep telling me i cannot as i have an old NTL one and they dont exist anymore so they can`t do it..:mad: .

I have Virgin phone as well as basic TV..at roughly £43 pm

If i have BT weekday unlimited phone ( free after 6pm Mon-Fri..free all weekend , with their 8mb broadband and Bt Vision it will cost me £40)

so yet another one Mr Branson is going to lose
wallbash.gif

Oh their customer service is appaling until you want to quit :)

Reaction score
Well we did get asked if their was anything that Virgin could do to keep us as a customer.
But said after a month of poor service/internet not working for 14 hours a day we had had enough!

Reaction score
Well guys I am going back to Virgin on the 25th instant. I am with BT at the moment nothing wrong with BT but ££££££s over the odds! Virgin contacted me with an offer I can`t refuse> TV XL With V+box> 20mb broadband [unlimited] with wirless [I will get 20mb the box is just outside my home]:D > Telephone free anytime calls. £38.00 PM :eek: no unpleasant surprises after first year:rolleyes: .

I always had good service with Virgin guess I am one of the lucky ones:p

Reaction score
itsme said:
20mb broadband [unlimited] with wirless [I will get 20mb the box is just outside my home
itsme said:

Would that be a green box thats about 4 foot wide, and 4 foot high, and about 15 inches deep..? Often see a little man sitting there looking at loads of wires..???If so that don't mean owt..How far is the exchange from where you are..???:p

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Would that be a green box thats about 4 foot wide, and 4 foot high, and about 15 inches deep..? Often see a little man sitting there looking at loads of wires..???If so that don't mean owt..How far is the exchange from where you are..???:p

The Exchange is about 500yds up the road :p:p:p:p:p:nod: Hello I am going with a ISP "Virgin":lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
itsme said:
Well guys I am going back to Virgin on the 25th instant. I am with BT at the moment nothing wrong with BT but ££££££s over the odds! Virgin contacted me with an offer I can`t refuse> TV XL With V+box> 20mb broadband [unlimited] with wirless [I will get 20mb the box is just outside my home]:D > Telephone free anytime calls. £38.00 PM :eek: no unpleasant surprises after first year:rolleyes: .

I always had good service with Virgin guess I am one of the lucky ones:p

They probably will give you unlimited downloads which is great. They will also probably monitor all your downloads and report you if you download anything at all suspicious. :p Not that you would.
happywave.gif

Ask a Question