Virgin Media Loyalty Discount

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm on Virgin Media and have been since I moved into my new house 2 years ago. As soon as I moved in I had Virgin Media services installed which included the XL TV package (everything except movies and sports), the smallest phone package and the smallest broadband package (10mb) which all come to around £60 a month including line rental. After the 1st year passed my fiance rang up Virgin Media to cancel as you seemed to get better deals being a new customer than an existing customer, so we could join up again and get new customer bonus'. Virgin instantly dropped our bill by £10 a month which was kool so we stuck with them for another year. Well this years just passed so she rang them again yesterday to do the same and now they've offered us a new TiVo box, 60mb broadband, the sexy new virgin router/modem, same phone deal and move our old V+ box upstairs for free as well as reducing the bill to just under £50 a month including line rental!

My mum and dad have been with Virgin Media since Diamond Cable then Ntl days (so around 15 years?) and have never been offered a bean! My fiance rang up on there behalf yesterday and have got them a stonking deal as well. They get the same deal as us even though they were paying £60 a month for 10mb broadband, no V+ box with the XL TV package and the lowest phone package with line rental. Now they are due to get a TiVo box, 60mb broadband, old box moved upstairs and the new Virgin router/modem for £10 a month less than what they were paying.

So if your on Virgin and your contract is over a year or due to be renewed ring up saying you want to cancel, Virgin will ask why, then just say what you want e.g you want your bill cheaper, a TiVo box and faster internet. They will keep you as happy as they can if your a loyal customer it seems.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have never had any discounts from the suckers, maybe I will have to give them a ring and put a bullet up the ar*es..:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All those people selling phone line rental, broadband and TV are very desperate for customers and it's the norm for them to offer carrots on sticks.

I got a good deal on my last mobile phone from Virgin, I wanted a particular model but not the rental plan that came with it so when I said I wouldn't bother they gave me the deal I wanted. Little did I know the phone was rubbish but that's another story, 11 more poxy months to go of contract, lol

Same went with Zen, I asked to leave a couple of years ago so I got more service (Broadband & Phone line rental) for less money though they're still expensive. I don't hire any TV services. When this Virgin contract is up I'm going for Sim card rental only, also going to buy an i-Phone cash, no contract.

Plus I think I'll probably switch to BE from Zen for Broadband and phone line. Put simply it's pretty much the same deal but cheaper. Zen are very good but a tad on the pricey side.

Finally, mentioned this here elsewhere recently but my Sister was paying £15 for Broadband to AOL, asked to leave and they reduced it to £10.00

So, moral is - shop around and sign as short a contract as possible ready for the next negotiation ;)

Well done Mr Reef!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well its all down to my fiancé, she's always on those money saving expert websites. We got our house insurance cheaper than last year, got £75 worth of M&S vouchers thrown in and £50 cash back by going through a different site. So in all we saved around £200! Plus we paid for the house insurance on a play.com credit card she ordered for me because you get £15 play voucher when you spend £50 on it in the 1st month, so I've got vouchers coming out me ears :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
After reading endless poor reviews of the "superhub" I'm going to cancel the hub and just go to 20mb broadband with my existing router/modem setup, not bothered about the price as I'm still going to be paying less than I am now for more stuff.

To be honest I'm more than happy with 10mb, its too much for me if anything. I googled virgin media superhub reviews and have struggled to find a good review!

I'd rather keep a slower connection that is utterly stable to an unreliable faster connection any day of the week/month/year :)

Reaction score
We once had Virgin as our ISP & never again!
Poor service & support and more excuses for the poor service than we have ever heard.
The reason our BB went down to near 56k dial-up was due not to them but BT, even after BT had upgraded the line the service was still very poor & never down to virgin of course!!!!

Now with Sky, still using the same telephone line & same exchange but we get 4MB!
Amazing how changing your ISP get thing quicker & Sky assured us a min speed of 4MB, something Virgin failed many times to do!

Reaction score
After reading endless poor reviews of the "superhub" I'm going to cancel the hub and just go to 20mb broadband with my existing router/modem setup, not bothered about the price as I'm still going to be paying less than I am now for more stuff.

To be honest I'm more than happy with 10mb, its too much for me if anything. I googled virgin media superhub reviews and have struggled to find a good review!

I'd rather keep a slower connection that is utterly stable to an unreliable faster connection any day of the week/month/year :)

I don`t have a problem have a read of this> http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers/1282879/virgin-media-super-hub :thumb::dance:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well I've had Virgin since diamond cable at my old house, then NTL and now virgin and never had any problems with the internet, always been rock solid and the support has always been top notch, but reading reviews of the super hub has made me want to keep my old setup!

Heres some bad reviews of super hub:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4134222/virgin-media-superhub-slow-wireless/
http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1640848-virginmedia-superhub-install-not-install.html
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-broadband/New-Superhub-Wireless-Problems/td-p/1202571
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/18/networking/395637/virgin-super-hubnot-so-super/
http://forums.computerandvideogames.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136606#

Could go on forever really!

Reaction score
Reefsmoka
Send me a PM I will give you the TOP fellas phone number he will sort any problem
Maybe I am lucky as the exchange is just outside my home.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Thanks but I'm going to stick with my utterly stable setup what I'm on now. I've read more into the superhub and apparently even in modem mode its extremely unreliable. I get full signal strength on my iPad, iPhone and laptop with my current setup and its all I want! I don't download an awful lot, and I do 99% of my surfing wireless so going to the inferior wireless capability of the superhub would just ruin things for me.

I just hope the TiVo box isnt a dud like the superhub sounds like!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Yeah i've read the Superhub is complete crap. But most use it purely as a modem and just use a decent cable router. You could try that? :)

We once had Virgin as our ISP & never again!
Poor service & support and more excuses for the poor service than we have ever heard.
The reason our BB went down to near 56k dial-up was due not to them but BT, even after BT had upgraded the line the service was still very poor & never down to virgin of course!!!!

Now with Sky, still using the same telephone line & same exchange but we get 4MB!
Amazing how changing your ISP get thing quicker & Sky assured us a min speed of 4MB, something Virgin failed many times to do!
Virgin Media cable (Cable service) and Virgin Media ADSL (Via the BT line, which sounds like what you had) are two totally different services, VM ADSL has always been terrible. Their cable service is good unless your in a highly over subscribed area. (Like i am)

Maybe I am lucky as the exchange is just outside my home.
Virgin don't have Exchanges. You mean the Cab? (Little green box)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Yeah i've read the Superhub is complete crap. But most use it purely as a modem and just use a decent cable router. You could try that? :)

I've read that its a terrible modem, bad latency, terrible packet data loss and goes on and off when it wants to. Apparently its not a proper modem, just a software bodge dont know how true it is, but I'm not going to risk it for a biscuit.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well unless I pay more I HAVE to have the superhub :( . My fiance rang virgin earlier to say we'll keep our current internet setup and they said they will have to charge us more unless we have the superhub, it baffles me. The only reason I can think they are forcing the hub onto us is so that in stats virgin is the fastest provider in the UK.

It gets fitted Wednesday so i'll keep everyone updated on whats what! AT the moment on my gaming PC I get between 9.80 and 9.97 on speedtest,net, don't really know any other internet benchmark sites to try. I get maximum wireless signal on my iPhone, iPad and laptop as well, anywhere in the house.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well it's all installed, and I'm very impressed with both the TiVo and the Superhub so far. The TiVo box is so much quick searching through channel's and the record series is better tuned than the virgin one. The box is a bit bland but least it doesnt stick out like a sky+ box!

The superhub is behaving itself so far. Only tried the net on the iPad so far and we get max signal. Tried speedtest.net and got 63mb/s and saw fear 3 on offer from steam so downloaded the 4gig+ file in no time what so ever at 7.5mb/s! I'll keep ya'll updated

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they have a fair usage scheme on every BB package. I downloaded fear 3 at over 4 gig in about 15-20 minutes. Its between certain times and I haven't got a clue when :/

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they have a fair usage scheme on every BB package. I downloaded fear 3 at over 4 gig in about 15-20 minutes. Its between certain times and I haven't got a clue when :/

I have unlimited downloads with my ISP. The only time they put a fair usage into place is with people using P2P to much

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I have unlimited downloads too, but I think V_R means a speed cap, which gets put in place when you download so much. E.g if you were downloading at 8mb/s and have been for so many gig, it will step you down to downloading at 1mb/s. It wont effect browsing or online gaming as you could do that with 128kb/s.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have unlimited downloads too, but I think V_R means a speed cap, which gets put in place when you download so much. E.g if you were downloading at 8mb/s and have been for so many gig, it will step you down to downloading at 1mb/s. It wont effect browsing or online gaming as you could do that with 128kb/s.

Ah! ok now I understand :D

Reaction score

Virgin Media cable (Cable service) and Virgin Media ADSL (Via the BT line, which sounds like what you had) are two totally different services, VM ADSL has always been terrible. Their cable service is good unless your in a highly over subscribed area. (Like i am)

Virgin don't have Exchanges. You mean the Cab? (Little green box)

You mean the Cab? How did you know I had A taxi rank outside my home as well:dance:

Ask a Question