Virgin Media throttling...

Reaction score
Long time no post, hope you are all doing OK. Thought I'd have a good old fashioned whinge about something, and see if any of you have the same problem.

Bascially, this throttling business is a bloody nightmare!! Somehow VM have managed to be even more crafty, incompetent and unhelpful than NTL, who were the masters of doing nothing and making you pay for it.

I get the 10mb/s lark these days having been with NTL broadband for 10 years or so now, since 512kb was the medium package. Essentially, once I have downloaded a 700mb movie, I then get a quarter of my 10mb for the rest of the day.

And don't let them fool you into thinking it stops a 9pm, they throttle you willy-nilly for no reason at all for as long as they want. At half 11 I'm still throttled, having downloaded a 700mb movie at about 4pm.

What is the point in paying for 10mb/s if you only get it for 10 minutes?! Its a joke, I don't know how its legal. I know its all in the contracts, but with no rival cable company there is no alternative.

Try this on for size Virgin: If the point of this 'throttling' is to reduce the traffic, why is your 50mb/s service - the one that will be bought solely by heavily internet-reliant users - free of any bloody restrictions!? Its extortion really, trying to force people who are exasperated by obscene download limits to pay more lucrative amounts a month for the privilege of having a full service, which they should get all along.

Up yours Virgin. I would leave, but we are with their phone and TV services too in a triple package thing so a next move has to be considered more carefully.

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
They will throttle you after I think about 3gb between the hours of 9am and 12am

There is a proper scale written out by them

Just do all you're downloading over night, after 12 you will get full speed then and everything done by next morning with ease

It's what I do... ;)

Edit*

I found it

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

But I don't.

I'm still throttled at midnight by them, And this morning I was thorttled for an hour and a half when I turned on the computer, having not downloaded anything.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm.

Flops thinks he'll make a serious comment and valid contribution to this thread.

Ready?

When it come to ISP's Virgin are crap.

That's all you need to know :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
You're modem may have been cloned

Someone else maybe using you're bandwidth

Surely you can check how much bandwidth has been used by logging in to your account? Who else is using the connection? they could be using more bandwidth that you think they are

Reaction score
Yup

TripleX is absolutely right...There is a proper scale written out by them...I agreed....

**Mod Edit** Spam links.

Goodbye - V_R

Ask a Question