Moving house.......

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im moving house midweek and im starting to panic, im a proper internet geek and i don't think im going to have it in my new place, so im looking for advice before i move to try and get it sorted!! haha.

So, im moving into a place where the guy has internet, although he has just signed up with Talk Talk and he says it's not really working at the moment. But it's just plugged straight into the back of his computer. I have my laptop with wireless so my question is, how do i get internet on my laptop? I can either:

a) plug in my wireless router and get him a wireless card, or

b) can i split the signal and use a cable? Can you do that with an internet connection?

Help would be much appreciated peeps.

Thanks.

Bodhi

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
a) sounds great ,Just plug in your wireless router and away YOU go, if he feels left out later then tell HIM to buy a wireless card :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Most wireless routers have RJ45 sockets anyway, so he should be able to use it through that as he does at the moment I guess, and you can use the wireless :)

Reaction score
I thought about that after i posted Ian. Would it be possible to plug in the wireless router instead of his modem and he can use it as he would the modem, and i should be able to pick up the wireless? That would be AMAZING if it worked like that, i just KNOW it's going to be more hassle than just plug and play! lol.

Im gonna go check for RJ45 now! :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
As Rush says it should be fine - you will need to connect an ADSL Wireless Router direct to the ADSL line, and he can use the cable connection whilst you use wireless.

You will need his Talk Talk account info at startup to input the router modem setup :thumb:

Reaction score
Hey,

Ive just been to check, and its the BT Voyager 2000 Wireless Router i have. On the back it has a DSL connection where the phone socket goes and has a spare port which says 'LAN' beside it and looks RG45 like.

Should it be a case of unplugging his modem and replacing it with that? Will it work as a direct wired modem to his computer and also broadcast a wireless signal? What else will i have to do so my computer recognises it? Sorry to be so dumb, but networking isn't my bag baby!! haha.

Thanks.

Bodhi

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think that's right Bodhi, only way to find out is to give it a go - if everything is as it sounds then it will work fine :)

Reaction score
Superb, thanks mate. I'll let you know how i go, or not, depending!! :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
One thing I was thinking off is that BT Voyagers supplied by BT for use with their broadband can sometimes be locked to BT broadband only - so you will need to check and if so get it unlocked.....

Reaction score
I am using the BT Voyager at the moment with Virgin internet so should be ok i guess? It's on a BT line but using Virgin Broadband.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Dunno about brands & companies etc but the practicalities should work just fine. It's what I've got done here with My boy who doesn't have wireless. He's plugged into the router, which is in his room. It's range is plenty wide enough that I & my daughter can use our lappys anywhere in the house (or outside), so if your router is on this guy's desk or wherever he needs to plug into it, it shouldn't have any effect on your reception.
One interesting triviality that may be relevant or not.
Mine & my 2 children have mac computeres & we all run off my broadband just fine, my boy needs a LAN cable of course, but both my daughter & I have wireless... no problem...
except when John Plugs his computer (running windows 2000) into the network.
when John is plugged in My daughter's lappy has to be plugged in to the router to work. :confused:
Not mine. & I've no idea why not as we both have airport.
I had a friend who's got the no how come try network them together in case I'd done it wrong... but still no go.
He didn't know why either although he said it's probably to do with mixing mac & PC's on the same network (funnily enough I'd begun to suspect that myself :nod: ) although he's not had trouble doing that before.
It's not a problem here (My daughter's battery is dead & has to be used at her desk anyhow) But it might be something to look out for if it's relevant in your case.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the big move is at the end of the week so i'll let you know how it goes!! Im really hoping it works as i'll be like a fish out of water without internet access!!!!!

Bodhi

Ask a Question